Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I do not own a rabbit. I have a 1969 subaru, which I could not find an alternator for, but the alternator from an early 80s Rabbit fits.

Thing is the connectors are different on the back and I need to know which is which.

There are two prongs for "B+" which I presume is for the BAT connection.

Then there is one prong for "D+" and one for just "+"

Ok so, normally, there'd be a connection for the IGN (wire from the igntion that is connected to the charge light or ammeter on the dash) wire on an alternator - so would that plug onto which prong? "D+" or "+"?

And why isn't there a prong for the ground?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,211 Posts
The large lug is for the battery cable.
The lug to the immediate left of it in the same bakelite mounting is for the exciter wire. (ammeter)

Then ground the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen the one with the lug connector, but this one has all prongs.

From what I can figure looking at a VW wiring diagram, the D+ prong is for the exciter/ammeter.

So I got no idea what the regular + prong is for.

·
Super Moderator
10,211 Posts
It don't sound like a vw mk1 alternator tha tI am familiar with.

There is the big lug, and the wire next to it is the exciter wire.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've seen the one with the lug connector, but this one has all prongs.

From what I can figure looking at a VW wiring diagram, the D+ prong is for the exciter/ammeter.

So I got no idea what the regular + prong is for.
I have that alternator... The two big prongs both go to the battery directly. The closest small prong goes to the keyswitch, the next one is for the "ALT" warning light on the dash. Somewhere down below may be a W terminal that is used for a Tachometer if it is from a Diesel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have that alternator... The two big prongs both go to the battery directly. The closest small prong goes to the keyswitch, the next one is for the "ALT" warning light on the dash. Somewhere down below may be a W terminal that is used for a Tachometer if it is from a Diesel.
Ok.

The closest I could find a picture of it online is this:

The subaru only uses one wire for from the ignition switch to the alternator, so I suppose I could just splice a second wire onto it to go to the other post? (I presume that both wires (D+ and +) should be dead when the ignition is off anyway? seems kind of weird then to use two wires).

·
Registered
46 Posts
...I suppose I could just splice a second wire onto it to go to the other post?
No.. And I was wrong in my post as well. This type alternator does not need a exciter wire. Only two for the battery (heavy gauge) and one for a light if you want it. My alternator has the suppression device on the + terminal like in the second picture.

Bentley scans:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent.

I wired it up earlier today and simply omitted the + prong from any connections.

Seems to work fine, the charge light comes on with the ignition and goes out when the motor starts, so it seems to be working fine.

I'll have to add a thicker BAT wire though since this alternator puts out a lot more amps than the original part and I don't want to burn up the wiring or the alternator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've created an account just to say : Thank you very much !!!

Typed VW MK2 Alternator Wiring , on google , 2nd link got me here.

Well explained , good pictures.

Thanks again :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts