Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have oil leaking from around the oil filter cover on my 2013 VW Jetta 2.5...did an oil change about a month ago and I’m thinking maybe got cross threaded? I tried tightening it to no avail so I’m wondering if anyone has tried to take the oil filter out without draining the oil pan and doing a complete oil change. The filter is a little higher than the pan so I think it may be possible..but if it’s just gonna make a huge mess with oil spraying anywhere, I’ll just do a complete oil change again I suppose. Annoying mistake whatever it is..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have oil leaking from around the oil filter cover on my 2013 VW Jetta 2.5...did an oil change about a month ago and I’m thinking maybe got cross threaded? I tried tightening it to no avail so I’m wondering if anyone has tried to take the oil filter out without draining the oil pan and doing a complete oil change. The filter is a little higher than the pan so I think it may be possible..but if it’s just gonna make a huge mess with oil spraying anywhere, I’ll just do a complete oil change again I suppose. Annoying mistake whatever it is..

I cannot believe nobody has responded to your post.
Yes you can take the filter off, no need to empty the oil pan. However, be prepared that there will be some spillage from the oil that is in the filter. No need for a hot engine so you can do it with the engine cold. You may need a filter wrench to unscrew the cartridge but you must have one since you replaced the old filter with a new one. I suggest that you buy a new filter as the leak could be from a damaged rubber seal..
With the screw-on filter cartridges it is important to smear the rubber seal with oil. Dip your finger in the oil container and smear the oil on the seal. Only hand tighten the filter cartridge. There normally is instructions on the filter, or the box in came in.

Check oil level and add if needed.

I once had a leak because I forgot to smear the seal and with tightening, the seal grabbed and folded, causing a messy leak. Another time I never noticed that the old seal stayed behind on the car and for some reason, the two seals was not a tight fit and the oil poured out.

Always start the car and make sure the filter does not leak..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply, getting a reply for me is like pulling teeth lol. I went ahead and did it soon after my post and you’re right, one small section of the seal folded in on itself and obviously didn’t seal well. I did lubricate it when I put it in the first time with clean oil but I guess it’s something to keep an eye on. I’ve always been cautious but it’s something that can easily happen by the looks of it. I did buy a new filter and seal when I did it like you also suggested just because I wanted a brand new seal out of it so it wouldn’t fold again in the same spot. Other than that, it was a smooth process and only ended up loosing maybe a quart of oil if not less that was trapped in the filter reservoir so not too bad! I had a feeling it was possible to do because the height of the filter is higher than the drain plug in the pan obviously but figured I’d make sure so 5 quarts of oil didn’t come out at me lol. Again thanks for the reply!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts