Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All ,
I am new to the forum, but has been driving my car for 7 years. My 2006 VW passat 2.0T (FSI motor) with 128xxx miles worked/started flawlessly until yesterday afternoon, and out of the blue it refused to start yesterday evening (when I tried to start it yesterday, it gave me the clicking noises and refused to start). I was able to get the car started yesterday by jump starting it, but an error message "Steering Column lock defective" appeared on the screen and the steering column icon was active and in red, but after a few minutes I turned off the car and restarted and the error message cleared itself and the car ran normal, so I did not think much of the issue yesterday until it happened again today.

I am again unable to start the car today, and I get the same clicking noises when I try to start (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-ugMrbpk7Q) (the video is from today morning when I tried to start the car). What do you guys think is the problem? I hope it is something simple like replacing the battery, and I hope I don't have the replace the entire steering column for the tune of almost $1800. Please help!! By the way I never replaced the battery and I am the original owner of the car. If it is a dead battery, then why is it not not flashing the battery icon? And I was able to start the car a few times yesterday after the jump start with out any issues. I am confused

·
Registered
16 Posts
That video sure looks like your battery is shot. If you're the original owner of 7 years with the original battery I'm willing to bet that. Far as your error messages, I'm not an expert on VW's by any means, but from what I understand things get funky when you've had low voltage situations.

I'd like to add, 7 years out of a battery is excellent (atleast to me). Mine is 5yrs old an is perfect. Now that I say that it won't crank tomorrow morning while it's stuffed in the cramped garage...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Took mine in to garage yesterday after replacing the battery without any effect. Diagnostic returned fault codes to do with ignition switch. The guy wiped the codes and so far it's worked fine!
Makes me wonder if VW have been doing some more extra software programming to get older car owners to ditch them and buy new models!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Go to YouTube and type ‘Passat b6 steering lock’ you will the see videos of similar issues. I had the same problem on my 2010 b6 Passat. I removed the steering column, took the cover of the steering lock on the end of it and sent the pcb circuit board away for rebuild via a company on eBay ( have a look at item number 114267451977). Once I’d refitted this all problems solved. Fiddly job, but home diy mechanic level though.

·
Registered
Volkswagen Jetta 2013
3 Posts
Go to YouTube and type ‘Passat b6 steering lock’ you will the see videos of similar issues. I had the same problem on my 2010 b6 Passat. I removed the steering column, took the cover of the steering lock on the end of it and sent the pcb circuit board away for rebuild via a company on eBay ( have a look at item number 114267451977). Once I’d refitted this all problems solved. Fiddly job, but home diy mechanic level though.
+++
the right thing, thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts