Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 1600 golf (94) and 1 day from work the car started to jurk and felt like cutting out, i pulled over and then it was fine drove again then after a while it did the same thing and as i came to a robot it dropped and cut out and would not start. i pushed the car to the side and had a look, tampered at the modulater and distributer (dizzy cap). got in the car then it started and drove fine. the next day i drove to the shops as i came back home i made the last stop at a friends house as i got back in the car it did the same thing as the previouse day. but know it was wors every time i would excellerate the car would stall and cut out. then after a while it would not start at all. checked the cable that runs from the modulater to the dizzy cap and the fitting has broken off in the modulater so i got a new 1 and it still would not start. so i got a new modulater and distributer (dizzy cap) changed the spark plugs and the cables and it still would not start and everytime i swing the ignition my rev counter needle would jump up and down. i have a faulty ignition in which i have to turn the key back myself everytime i start the car. i was told that it was the modulater, dizzy cap, alarm system and my ignition. i dont have the time to look at it and could only do this on the weekend. so i need some info as to what it could be before spending anymore money on parts that i dont need to replace and waisting money. been without a car 2 weeks now and have to use public transport to work in winter:(. please help me

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi i have a 1600 golf (94) and 1 day from work the car started to jurk and felt like cutting out, i pulled over and then it was fine drove again then after a while it did the same thing and as i came to a robot it dropped and cut out and would not start. i pushed the car to the side and had a look, tampered at the modulater and distributer (dizzy cap). got in the car then it started and drove fine. the next day i drove to the shops as i came back home i made the last stop at a friends house as i got back in the car it did the same thing as the previouse day. but know it was wors every time i would excellerate the car would stall and cut out. then after a while it would not start at all. checked the cable that runs from the modulater to the dizzy cap and the fitting has broken off in the modulater so i got a new 1 and it still would not start. so i got a new modulater and distributer (dizzy cap) changed the spark plugs and the cables and it still would not start and everytime i swing the ignition my rev counter needle would jump up and down. i have a faulty ignition in which i have to turn the key back myself everytime i start the car. i was told that it was the modulater, dizzy cap, alarm system and my ignition. i dont have the time to look at it and could only do this on the weekend. so i need some info as to what it could be before spending anymore money on parts that i dont need to replace and waisting money. been without a car 2 weeks now and have to use public transport to work in winter:(. please help me
Hi there this almost sounds similar to the issues I’m having with my 2003 Touareg. Did u find a solution to your troubles?

I have wasted nearly $2000 only for mechanics to swear they couldn’t find a problem. I am loosing my mind wasting $$ and having mechanics look at me like I’m crazy & that there is nothing wrong. I’m to scared to go on a long drive from home & worry that every drive might not make it home. Can’t keep getting tow trucks. Need help.

Most of the time the car is wonderful, drives like a dream. It is my first V6 and I personally was expecting more from a V6 so I suspect possibly not running at full power?

No scan codes most of the time but randomly (can’t find a pattern that leads to it) the car will splutter and chug and when I put accelerator flat to floor nothing happens & it konks out. Usually results in me needing a tow truck but then a couple days later it’s working fine again.

It randomly spits out codes but then they go away nothing worth mentioning - cam shaft and crank shaft sensors, lean idle right bank, mis fire, etc. Brought new cam/crank sensors but didn’t help.

Have done vacuum test & replaced hose, it was suggested it could be O2 voltage but did live scan & only 2 option were avail for the O2 but I have 3 wires so wondering if that is the problem? But the live data showed readings within range but despite this the chart constantly peaked and troughs which is apparently not correct?

The MAF g/s test was interesting though. For majority of the time it was within range (<10) but throughout the drive it would do random spikes between 30-74 which is apparently crazy high & not good.

Have cleaned the MAF but it didn’t help.

Yesterday when it decided to have one of its moments and not want to do anything when I would accelerate besides backfire a little bit, I happen to still have my code scanner still plugged in so was able to do some live reads and throughout the whole episode of it playing up the voltage of the O2 sensors was zero and I was reading the fuel trim shirt B1 and fuel trim kong B2 and both were reading zero. Once the episode was over (less than 5mins) and the car was running normal again the two fuel trims were reading their normal 25% and -4% correction. Hopefully this means something to someone??

Someone suggested to look at the wiring under the mat of the passenger side? Is this an option & exactly what would I be looking for?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts