Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
230K views 28 replies 25 participants last post by  HowardMupeta 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Can anyone please help? When I press the central locking button on the key only the driver's door opens, if I use the key in the lock they all open. I have tried the fuse and it seems o.k.

What should I look at next?

#3 ·
Tanks for your quick reply, its a Golf GT TDI 130 bhp Mark 4 2003, pressing the key fob twice seems to make no diffrence only the drivers door opens, and when you lock it the alarm sets as it should, but if you use the key in the lock and turn it twice all the doors will open ?

#4 ·
Has it always done this? Or is this something that just started? This is usually a programming issue and should be able to be fixed by someone with vcds(vag-com) or the dealer.

#5 ·
just checked the battery and found it was faulty, have now fitted a new battery and the central locking is now working, don't know if removing the battery has reset the central locking system or it was the faulty battery, but all seems o.k. now, thanks to the members for there help and advice

#7 ·
Hey guys,
Just had the same problem with the central locking not opening the passenger door or the boot with the fob key, only the driver door would open. The only reason I can think of that could of caused this was that my battery went dead after my mate was spraying the front bumper & bonnet. I recharged the battery but still no difference. After searching the net and to realise alot of guys had the same problem, one answer to fix it kept arising 'Bring back to dealer'.
I decided to go back down and disconnect the battery and reconnect it 60sec later and the central locking was perfect.
Hope this helps.

#10 ·
Have you had any luck with your problem mentioned above. I have a 2007 golf and have started having the same problems. The central locking works, but opens all doors except the drivers door. I have messed about with the MFD menu to no avail. Did you disconnect your battery? Has it sorted the problem if you did?

#12 ·
Could very well be a driver door latch malfunction. Does the MFD show the proper status of the door when it's open or closed?

#14 ·
Dear All,

I have a VW Golf4 1.9 TDI Varian.
Pushing the central locking button the right back door does not lock. I can hear the classic double klick sound, the pin moves down and up again, so the door remained open. I tried it several times, but it reains the same. All the three other doors lock perfectly.
Using the key (remote locking) everything work perfectly.
Do you have any idee what could be the problem?
Thanks
Peter

#15 ·
Hello,

I am new and joined because I have a weird problem that even my almost nerdy vw mechanic can't figure out. So almost every 12 hours my battery would be dead (I just replaced the battery about 4 weeks ago). I took it to the mechanic and he diagnosed it as a possible "central locking system malfunction". He did not find a draw when he tested the battery, but auto zone found almost 1 amp draw when the car was off. The weirdest part is that if I don't lock my doors (as suggested by the mechanic) the car is okay in the morning, so far. Any ideas?

#18 ·
Have you found an answer to your problem? I am having a problem when I lock my car remotely. Whenever locking , rather than the lights flashing on and off, they sometimes stay on. The only way to reset is either hit the locking remote again or lock the car using the key in the driver's, door. Does anyone have a solution?

#19 ·
Hi - I have just purchased an 06 Beetle and discovered I have a similar problem only worse. If I unlock the drivers door with the fob and put the keys in the ignition without starting the engine - and the door closes - 30 seconds later the doors self lock and I cannot get into the car.
The boot occasionally only unlocks when the drivers door is unlocked, and sometimes will not open at all - even from the internal unlock button. Sometimes the passenger door opens on the second push and sometimes not and on occasions if the car has been unlocked and you open the passenger window the alarm goes off, this also happens when you start the engine?
Other than that the car is fabulous, just very unpredictable - any ideas pleas?

#20 ·
Are any of the central locking problems resolved? 03 tdi golf - passenger door locked fast,and rear nearside only operable from inside. A new battery fitted b4 christmas - could this be the cause, or are the doors independently fused - trying to avoid expensive bills if possible. Later today I will try dis and reconnecting the battery and checking fuses.Though my hunch is a mechanical problem. Any light shedders?

#22 ·
Did that help? Will45? I realise it's a while since you posted. I'm having issue with my VW Golf, I can't lock it from outside. Key not working in the driver's side lock and central locking not working at all with key. Had batteries changed in the key and they are fine. I came back to my car yesterday and the hazard lights were flashing and the remote key would not open the door so I had to get in passenger side using the key in the lock. The alarms then set off until I put my key into the ignition, when I got home the remote key still not working and I can't lock it???? Any thoughts anyone?

#24 ·
Hi all,

Thanks for everyone posting here.
I have a Golf 2006 1.4 TSi and was having random central locking issues. I followed the advice on this forum and disconnected the battery for a minute whilst the key was in the ignition and the doors open.
After reconnecting the battery the central locking was fixed. Maybe I will need a new battery soon, but for now my problem is sorted and saved me a garage visit.

I registered here to say thanks and to give feedback for others who wish to try.

#25 ·
hello i have a 03 vw bora/jetta that every time i unlock it. Its a race to put the key in the ignition before the alarm goes off or anytime i unlock it and somebody opens the passenger side door the alarm goes off i haven't a clue what i can do to fix it. if anyone has any advise that would be great thanks

#26 ·
Hello....I have polo 2015 model with central unlocking button not working(only the locking button works) the remote key works fine....when I switch off the ignition n removes the key...only the passenger door unlocks

I have checked fuse...is fine
I have disconnected n reconnect the battery but still nothing

Any other possible option to try to get this unlocking button to work?

Regards
Ema

#29 ·
I have VW Touran FSI 2007 and the Central Locking is not working. I am unable to open the rear door and hence cannot change the brake lights and other rear bulbs since this problem started. I have tried to disconnect battery, but not lucky. I don't know who can advise on how I can open the rear door and also fix the central locking. When I lock the car using the driver's door, it only locks that door and the rest of the doors remains open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.