Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've got a 2008 Diesel Caddy van. I got it serviced the other day and now the check engine light is on and the only way to start the car is to disconnect the cabling that clicks into the thrust sensor and now I have lost cruise control and turbo. The mechanic who serviced it cleaned the engine with I know not what and is not a dealer but has a good name and is vague about being able to fix it. I don't entirely trust the dealer here (they are really Ford dealers who branched out into Volkswagen and have not been good when I have used them). Ideally I'd like a little bit of help please as to what it might be and can I fix it myself, before I head to the dealer and not sound like a bit of nong.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Every time I cleaned the engine bay on my TDI, I would loose boost and
so on. Just had to wait till it all dried out.

So, that sensor is shorted out, and now possibly bad due to the cleaning. IT is
on the high pressure fuel line? 10 to 1, the cleaning shorted it out... You either
need a new one, or hope it dries out.

VW does NOT have good weather-pack plugs, this is proof. I do not know what
damage an electrical short would do to this sensor, but mine always went back
to working after everything dried off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 2013Tdi yep, I always have to tell them NOT to get the engine wet, and no joy of skylarking with puddles when it rains (found that out the hard way). It turned out the wiring had been physically damaged by the "mechanic" who did the service. I took it to the dealer, who I am happy to say have improved 100% and they fixed it no worries, within an hour and no new bits needed AND they washed the outside for me, cleaned and greased the doors; I nearly flung it off its hinges when I got out and cleaned the windscreen.

I had a bad moment with them a few services ago when the fuel filter was cross threaded or some jolly thing, but it was left with the tiniest leak which dripped onto the fan belt and of course, perished it and they were happy I had come back and were extra attentive.

I know where to come now for Volkswagen questions :) Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts