Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to paint engine bay in my rabbit its 84 diesel, which color should I paint it I was thinking white or bottom black and top white or I would like some of your suggestions, engine is going to be teal color. And how should I paint just sand it down and spray primer and paint or do something else? Also car is going to be painted candy white.

·
Super Moderator
10,510 Posts
Well, you have opened yourself up for a lot or comment.
Stock rocks.

The Color of the exterior should reflect the engine bay.

Now with that said which ever way you go, don't forget to paint the under side of the hood to match the engine bay, as that looks better IMHO when you have the hood raised.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I would use a engine paint for the engine. They make it cause the engine gets hot and most paint wont stay with flaking off.

Twocams

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
View attachment 16369 This is my 1967 Saab 3 cylinder, 3 carb, 2 stroke engine bay. I used POR15 to control rust as well as holding up to oils and acids. They do other colors besides black.

Twocams

·
Registered
482 Posts
A nice look for the bay is to sand it and then use body filler to smooth everything and then paint over it. google "Shaved Bay MK1"

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
The main thing is to get it clean. No oils or grease cause the paint wont stick. Get all the rust you can out especially the flaky rust and old flaking paint. I used a 280 grit but you can use courser if you want. I use wet and dry sandpaper in a pack that comes with different grits of paper. That way you can use it dry or water to sand if you want a nice smooth job. I wouldnt worry about bondo or other stuff unless this is going to be a show car. Remember the engine and transmission take up about 85% of the bay and you wont see a lot of stuff. You want a nice clean looking bay that when you open the hood and people look inside say "WOW that sure is clean. Or what a crappy oily mess in there. :(

Twocams

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
You dont say if the engine will be in or out of the car? Another thing, cover everything that doesnt need painting with plastic or something. I use vaseline on some stuff that cant be raped or removed. Paint wont stick and you can wipe it clean later. There is nothing that looks more like crap than plug wires and electrical wire that have spray paint all over them. I wouldnt use white at all in the engine bay it so hard to keep clean and look nice unless that is the color already. Is white the original color of the car? Cause white is so blahzay and there are so many great colors on the market. But if its white already its a lot of work to change colors. I must be into gray I have 4 cars that are a gray of some kind. Just worked out that way. Here is a picture of my Saab engine bay before I started.:chatbox:

Twocams View attachment 16377

·
Super Moderator
10,510 Posts
When you are going to re-paint, you have to kind of do the following.

Degrease the area, that totally awesome is ok, pressure washers and scrub brushes are your friend..
You need to remove, tape, plastic wrap (Saran Wrap is your friend), or grease objects that you don't want to remove.

Start out with about 200 grit, as you need to knock off the glaze, and you only really need deep cutting power of courser grits or grinders if you are shaving or filling in areas. If you lay in Bondo, then you have to get to bare metal and the grinders are your friend.

When sanding, use a power tool (pneumatic is good, less heat....) let the tool work for you don't over work your tool. Start in small areas and then get bigger. You will go up to 400 wet/dry, use water, then 600.... I don't go over 600 when I am going to prime, as I want the paint or primer to have something to stick to.

After spraying a self etching primer, Epoxies are good. I look to see if there are runs.. I go over it again with 400 and then 600, primer again, and redo with 600, then 1000, then 1500.

Spray the color of your choice. Allow to dry and cure... over night is good. Wet sand with 1500, and spray again if needed...
Wet sand with 2000, then shoot clear if it is a 2 stage paint. Wet sand clear with 1500, 2000, then a buffing wheel...

That is the basics, there are other ways to do it, check out Eastman's site as they usually have good DIY's.
For doing an engine bay, the above should suffice...

·
Super Moderator
10,510 Posts
Here is what I am talking about... Family dollar stores carries it.

·
Super Moderator
10,510 Posts
For most any kind of painting. Google it, and read up on it... Everyone has their own style, and ways to do things.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts