Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,551 Posts
Sites to bookmarks are:
www.cabby-info.com
Buy a Bentley manual, it is the best.
Everything I know about convertible tops is in the FAQ's or DIY's above under Briano's Guides by Body.
The only Automatic Transmission guide that I know if is https://www.reflectionsandshadows.com/a1-tech/BIGATSG.pdf
and a lot of information on it is sections 37 and 38 Tech Groups
Depending on the mileage these 010 tranny's have been known to go over 400K before rebuild,
If you need to get a starter for the tranny, then there are two types. Solid Plate starter and a spoked plate starter (as in flex plate). Getting the wrong type can ruin your flex plate and those are getting harder and harder to find. I am guessing that yours from the engine size is probably a solid plate.
Solid

Spoked

The only special tool that you need to work on these are a 8mm Triple square drivers for the CV axles and a 12mm Triple square tool for removing head bolts.
Head Bolts aren't reusable. You will also need a 1/4 drive and a 1/2 drive torque wrench. Most bolts that hold the flanges on are set to 87 In/lbs and the 1/4 drive torque set them.
Never-seize and a good 6 pt socket sets are on your future, and the crank bolt is either 12pt or 6pt, and both have different torques on them as the 12 is @ 60 ft/lbs and the 6 is at 110lbs.

Engines upgrades are usually the 1.8L CIS.

Welcome.

The Top fir a first timer is dependant on the layers that you are doing but usually take a whole weekend the guides are step by step, you can't skip around.

·
Super Moderator
10,551 Posts
www.cabby-info.com as all the answers for all your questions on vin number and m-codes, see her museum/data drop down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts