Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever my Diesel VW pickup gets up to operating temp, it'll run at a higher RPM. Sometimes I can get it back to idle by hitting the accelerator pedal for a brief second. I'm thinking the throttle cable might be stuck.

Any idea what is causing this and how to fix it?

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
It could be but not limited to the throttle cable but the return spring is gooey....
Cleaning them and making sure there are no binds in the cable from the accelerator is the first step that I would take.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Whenever my Diesel VW pickup gets up to operating temp, it'll run at a higher RPM. Sometimes I can get it back to idle by hitting the accelerator pedal for a brief second. I'm thinking the throttle cable might be stuck.

Any idea what is causing this and how to fix it?
I have a little of of that, but I always thought it idled better when hot. Do you have an aftermarket Tach? If so can you tell us the difference in idle speeds?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Could be an issue with the injection pump. Try spraying the exterior of the pump with a parts cleaner or mineral spirits, perhaps there's something binding mechanically inhibiting its operation. I'd also check the action of the accelerator cable for smooth operation. On my 85 Golf Diesel, I found some of the wires of the cable had come loose and hanging up on the sheath covering it causing the cable to stick with erratic idling. Replacing the cable solved the issue. Sometimes the floor mats shift and interfere with the accelerator peddle which I found to be the case in my experience. Good luck and hope you find the solution soon.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of my injector lines broke. I don't know if that was the problem, but after getting that fixed I haven't had a problem. I also sprayed the throttle return spring with carb cleaner just to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
10,484 Posts
Injector lines breaking are a sign that I had over tightened them and twisted it.
Or every time a motor mount would go, that is the one on the ip bracket, if I didn't change it in a couple of weeks I would break the number 3 line every time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts