Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. I can't open the door, pulling the inside door handle makes the lock button lift but simultaneously pulling up the button and pulling the handle fails to release the locking mechanism.
(Needless to say - the central locking has already failed to release it by this time.)

2. Has anyone taken off the door trim? - How do I remove the handle? (Once 1. above is solved.)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The inside door handle is connected to the latch with a cable, so if it does
not open from the inside, it's still locked. It's gonna have to come apart
NOW, not afterwards. The rear door panels can come off from inside with
little or no damage with the door closed, it's the fronts what would be a big
mess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm not sure if they solve my problem. The fact that pulling the handle lifts the lock button suggests that there isn't a cable break.
The mechanism is jammed, either rusted or clogged up. When trying to lift the lock button, there are sounds of movement from the other side of the door. The button springs down again when released.
Also, the self tapping screws at the bottom of the door panel are obscured when the door is shut.
At the moment, the only way to get behind the panel seems to be to destroy the panel which would be a pity.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I did not say it was the cable, I said, it is connected by a cable, so if it's
won't open, it's staying locked. No where in that reply said the cable was
broken. If the lock knob pops up, that's a clear indicator the cable is
still good, it's the latch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, apologies for my misunderstanding.
There are two self tappers at the bottom of the trim, they are obscured when the door is closed.
Also, I can't see how to remove the door closing handle which also secures the trim.
Do I really have to destroy the trim?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Well, you can pull UP, which will tear hole, for minimal damage, nothing a small
washer can't fix. If you twist and turn, you will cause more damage to the bottom
of the door panel. IT has to be pulled UP so it tears through the bottom. This can
be repaired a lot easier than if you tore the whole section out from screw to screw.

You also have to take your back seat bottom out, that's a simple task too.

Some other ideas:
https://youtu.be/MNg18qaYU9o

Read this:
First, let me say that you can access the inside of the door without being able to open it. As shown elsewhere on Vortex, pry off the interior door handle cover and remove the screws securing it to the door. From there you can start at the top by gently lifting/prying the top of the door card from the window channel. Next, gently but firmly pull the front edge of the panel off, then lower the rear seatback and pull the rear end off. Roll down the window and unplug the lock control and tweeter and disengage the latch cable. Now you can remove the bolts which hold the window carrier plate to the door. That's where I stopped. It seems that to remove the carrier plate you need to lower it from the opening, and with the door closed, you really can't do that. Having got that far, though, it was pretty apparent that without removing the window frame carrier, even if you have the door panel off, you have zero access to the latch assembly.
So... I searched the web again and found the above-referenced post. To be honest, I had no idea what he was talking about with the coat hanger. Maybe it's some kind of hanger we don't have here in the states. Anyhow, I got a little 'pick' - part of a little set of 4 I got at a local hardware store. They're less than $10 for the set - 1 straight, one with a hook, one with a 90-degree bend and one with a curved 30-degree bend. Anyhow, I took the 90-degree pick and, with the exterior door handle pulled out, inserted it into the rear end of the handle, pointy end facing upwards. I stuck it in about 3", then rotated it clockwise and ""pop" the door opened right up!
I'll see if I can take a few pics and repeat the procedure. My outside door handle still doesn't work, but at least now I can open the door from the inside again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts