Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Volkswagen originally provides equal weight drive shafts for the MK1 vehicles with manual transmissions (about 10# each). The longer passenger shaft is hollowed out so the weights will be equal on both sides. Some of the "bargain" axle assemblies have solid shafts on the passenger side. While using one of these on my '81 5 spd. pickup, I developed a leaking transmission flange seal on the passenger side. After taking a few short runs and feeling the axle near the flange and inner cv joint, I found it to be unusually hot. I don't know whether this is because of the heavier shaft on one side of the transmission or not. The aftermarket shaft I bought for the passenger side weighs about 13 pounds, 3 pounds more than the driver's side. Is this why it gets hotter on that side,and, is it hard on the transmission? I'm tempted to just buy joints for the passenger side and put them on a hollow shaft instead of buying the aftermarket assemblies. Buyer beware?

·
Super Moderator
10,428 Posts
I have heard of that, never experienced it. I think it is also to prevent torque steer.
Replace the Diff Seal, I have a how do i do that in the DIY section, for doing it on the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts