Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
My exhaust pipe fell off while driving my 1980 Rabbit (Diesel). How is it secured? Wondering if I need to get it towed. Thanks.
You just had the flex pipe come apart on you. Taking the two ends off the exhaust pipe might take some soaking with penetrating oil and a good box wrench to break the nuts loose. You might break them off too. So buy two new ones, the problems using the old ones over again are not worth the trouble. You should be able to find one of those joints or something close to fitment at the auto parts place of your choice. Back with all the other Muffler bits and pipes.

You can drive it that way but it might be a bit loud. You could raise the car a tad and wire it up as close as you can get it back together and it will be less loud.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help! To drive it home, is it possible to pull out the back pipe? I see a hangar at the tail, but wondering if it the bend in the middle (curves around the crossmember) will prevent me from doing that.

·
Super Moderator
10,616 Posts
Get a piece of steel to hold the two halves up, then use bailing wire or a metal coat hanger to get it up, and drive it.

They make replace ment expansions that you can use the muffler band clamps on to hold it and they are the best thing as they secure the pipe and dont crush it.

a hack saw 2 clamps and a replacement joint and you are good to go,

·
Registered
344 Posts
If not for the noise and fumes....dropped pipe would let it breathe. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts