Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Bug Folk.

I have an extra FJ1200 Yamaha motor that I have been thinking of putting into some sort of 4 wheeler and think a baja bug would be a good candidate. What are your thoughts?

Jack

ps MERRY CHRISTMAS

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Hello Bug Folk.

I have an extra FJ1200 Yamaha motor that I have been thinking of putting into some sort of 4 wheeler and think a baja bug would be a good candidate. What are your thoughts?
Space frame yea not a Beetle chassis tho. Not enough low end grunt in a bike engine unless you want to nail it everywhere. I guess it depends what you plan on doing with it when it's finished. Lot of work either way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dyno numbers vary of course but most show a stock FJ1200 putting 10 foot pounds to the rear wheel at 1,000 RPM, close to 60 at 3000 and 80 plus over 8,000. So, the power characteristics of this engine are certainly up to hauling the bug around crisply.

In a motorcycle this engine pulls 800 plus pounds through the traps at 11 flat and produces a top speed over 150 mph. In a bug chassis geared for 125 I would expect E.T.'s in the 12's and a very drive-able, dependable, and fuel efficient little car.

does anyone here have experience putting a m/c motor in a bug?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a newbie here but I figured just jumping in is a good way to start. If you go to youtube you will find a couple motorcycle-powered vw's. IRC, one of them was pretty quick. Like Dubsy said, a lot of work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
lots of people putting bike engines in Rails and similar for the power to weight is incredible, the FJ12 motor is a stormer out the crate and tuned with a few simple tweaks and its up there HP wise with the R1's of the world but has something the R1 lacks - Torque.
Rebuilt and early FJ a few years ago and just loved the leave it in 5th and go anywhere FAST

1 - 6 of 6 Posts