Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I went out to Nitro's house so that we could install my fog lights. The version I did is not factory (doesn't go into the CECM because the midline one does not support fog lights) because I didn't want to spend more $$$ for the highline. So the version I did involves a trigger wire that goes from the headlight switch to a relay and although the setup is not actually a factory setup it looks and works just like one. The only thing you lose out of is cold bulb detection (for bulb out light) and fog lights as DRLs but besides that it works just the same. The DIY below is a work in progress, but I wanted to get this basic one up so that you can see just how easy it is. Just be patient and everything will be easy.

1. Obtain the following parts for this install:

2. Remove the passenger's side fog grill by unscrewing the screw directly in the center of the grill.

3. Remove the driver's side fog grill by pushing on the tab at the end of the grill. These will just pop out very easily. Place these away somewhere as you won't need them again.

4. Start feeding the fog light harness from the drivers side grill opening. Pass it behind the center grill and just pass it through to the passenger side.

5. When the harness has reached the other side, pop in the screw covers and install your passenger fog and replace the fog grill. Finish that side by re-screwing in the fog grill and viola, passenger side done!

Battery Removal Time!
6. Time to remove the battery. Start by taking the terminals off with a 10mm ratchet and then to the left of the battery is a bolt that you must also unscrew and take the bracket off. This is easily accessible with a long ratchet. After all those are off, lift up on the front of the battery and pull forward. Easy as cake, huh?

7. You need to remove the nut on the bottom of the 200AMP fuse under the hood as well as three more bolts holding the battery holder in place. Once those are removed, remove the battery holder and get ready to route some wires.

8. Start by routing the wires (two fog wires & ground) up into where the battery used to be (tape them together so routing is easier). Remove the ground from the taped wires and ground it to the nut shown below. This is a giant acorn nut located right in front of the fuses under the hood.

9. You are now going to route the two remaining fog wires through the factory clips as seen below until you get to the firewall. You are then going to puncture one of the nipples that opens a passageway into the cabin. Don't run the fog wires through yet because you are going to need power for the relay. We took this from a fuse under the hood as seen below. The third screw from the left has our power spade behind it. Just unscrew the nut, slip the spade on and re-screw back on.

10. You must remove dash pieces in order to get to the wires and the fuse box and other things. Remove the fuse box cover and the two bottom panels with screws found under the dash. Just start removing screws until it comes off. Hopefully Nitro can proved more insight here as he did this part pretty quickly.
Here is a picture of what needs to be taken off.

**Note - You must remove the headlight switch and have a Euroswitch (or a GTI headlight switch). The trigger wire goes into pin 5 of the headlight switch harness.

11. We tried to use a screwdriver, but were unsuccessful. We were impatient so this might work for you. Tape all three wires (two fog wires, power for relay) to the screwdriver punched from the cabin into the engine compartment, and feed it through the nipple. Pictured below...

12. Lunch break.

13. We grounded the relay to a screw in the fuse box. Simple!

14. Almost done -- Let's get this done! Next step is to create your relay.
30 - Power
87 - Fog Lights
85 - Ground
86 - Trigger Wire (Pin 5 on Headlight Switch)

15. Put the relay up behind the dash and tuck it away. As you can see you can barely see any extra wires.

16. Replace the battery holder and put the battery back in. Test your switch by pulling out and make sure the fog lights come on. They should like the following images:

Fog Light Alignment
To align your fogs follow these steps:
1. Park 25 feet away from a wall, on a LEVEL surface.
2. Measure from the ground to the center of your fog light (13" for me, 13.5" for Nitro).
3. Subtract 4 inches from that and draw a line on your wall.
4. Align the top of the cutoff with this line on the wall. (Adjust fog light using torx on side of the fog light)
5. Drive away with aligned fog lights.
I am assuming Nitro is going to come back and help me fix this up a bit when he gets home later tonight, but as you can see this was not a difficult install at all. Please let me know if you have any questions as I will be around all night working on other stuff and checking back here. Let me know what you think!!

·
Premium Member
16,519 Posts
Looks good, you have an overall price comparison vs. Nitro's setup. The only thing keeping me from doing it Nitro's way was the price.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine was about $380-$390 with all of the parts (including relay and wire and spades). That is for the fogs, grills, harness and euroswitch.

·
Premium Member
16,519 Posts
I'm a little confused with step/picture #9. The third screw from the left power spade thing.

What gauge wire are you using for the fogs? 8? It looks like overkill.

·
Premium Member
16,519 Posts
Mine was about $380-$390 with all of the parts (including relay and wire and spades). That is for the fogs, grills, harness and euroswitch.
Not bad compared to Nitro's $622. Am I correct in assuming you sourced the parts from the same places? oempl.us and parts4euro

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm a little confused with step/picture #9. The third screw from the left power spade thing.

What gauge wire are you using for the fogs? 8? It looks like overkill.
In picture #9, we added a wire to the third screw from the left. The red wire that goes to the firewall is 10 gauge wire I think and it is for the power to the relay. That is Nitro's left over red wire and we wanted to use it because it was for power. Better safe than sorry. So basically you remove the nut on the screw third from the left and place the spade on (as if you were grounding something). Sorry we didn't get better pictures - I will edit them in paint with arrows later on tonight.

Not bad compared to Nitro's $622. Am I correct in assuming you sourced the parts from the same places? oempl.us and parts4euro
Yes and yes.

·
Premium Member
16,519 Posts
Great DIY writeup. Other than looking at the wrong wire and confusing myself, I was able to understand it.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great DIY writeup. Other than looking at the wrong wire and confusing myself, I was able to understand it.
I am going to edit the pictures later with arrows and circles and other shapes that should make it even easier to understand, but I am glad it is understandable now.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
So Mdonders, if i get used GTI fogs ( ialready have the switch) what else will i Need to get to perform the same install?
I will have the fogs, mounts, and the switch...
Is there a harness to buy for wiring to make this easy? I know i will need toget wiring from the lights to the relay, and all that. When i get the fogs (not sure whether they will be reflector or projector) I will probably ask you and nitro for more help. Also, is the relay just empty on the car, or did you have to buy the specific relay?

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So Mdonders, if i get used GTI fogs ( ialready have the switch) what else will i Need to get to perform the same install?
I will have the fogs, mounts, and the switch...
Is there a harness to buy for wiring to make this easy? I know i will need toget wiring from the lights to the relay, and all that. When i get the fogs (not sure whether they will be reflector or projector) I will probably ask you and nitro for more help. Also, is the relay just empty on the car, or did you have to buy the specific relay?
Ok let me try and answer this to the best of my ability (and from what I understand). If you get GTI fogs, you are going to need GTI fog grills. I am not sure if GTI fogs will fit on a Rabbit based on some information that I have heard, but Nitro would know that better than I would.

The relay is what knows when to turn the fogs on. Basically what happens is when you pull on the headlight switch to activate the fogs it sends a signal to the relay to send power (12v) to the wire on a certain terminal. The terminal that is sent power is the one that has the fog wires on it. So basically you pull headlight switch, it goes okay send power, fogs turn on. The relay we used was a 40AMP, 12V automobile relay.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
thanks man,

It sounds like it might be too big a risk to order thr GTI fogs, so I might just wait and order the full kit from oempl.us.
So with the kit, in that case, I will need the relay, and other wires?

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks man,

It sounds like it might be too big a risk to order thr GTI fogs, so I might just wait and order the full kit from oempl.us.
So with the kit, in that case, I will need the relay, and other wires?
With the kit from OEMPL.US you need the kit, a relay, some spade connectors, heatshrink, and a bit of wire. I will try and remember all of that stuff that I bought and put it in the original post. Also the kit from OEMPL.US is the projector fogs which have a nice crisp cut-off line which is what you are looking for with fogs.

·
Premium Member
16,519 Posts
Just out of curiousity. Are you and Nitro going this route to keep the factory look? I've installed KC lights and fogs but normally I just tap a power source, add a fuse and inline switch. I think it looks better with your setups, though.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just out of curiousity. Are you and Nitro going this route to keep the factory look? I've installed KC lights and fogs but normally I just tap a power source, add a fuse and inline switch. I think it looks better with your setups, though.
Nitro is big on doing everything factory. I like things to look factory (even if they may not be). I didn't want to have to drill into a switch to throw a toggle switch to control my fogs.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
subscribed.

I forgot to mention:

Nice work. Almost makes me confident enoug hto do electrical work on my own... Almost.

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
Hey hey! Nice fog lights!

Let's clear some stuff up from other posts. We used 10 GA wire for the main power wire to the fogs. The reason for this was twofold. I needed a wire to give enough current to two 55watt or possibly a bit higher bulbs without risk of overheating, and the fuse we tapped into was 50 amp. This was a tad higher than I wanted so if a short happened, the fuse would pop instead of the wire melting and causing a fire. You can easily go with 12ga wire, but nothing smaller. 14ga is pushing it.

GTI fogs will NOT fit a rabbit grille. GTI fogs use 3 bolts and no lock tab where ours have 2 bolts and 1 lock tab. Plus GTI fogs are reflector lenses, ours are projector (great for HID kits later!)

Matt, you remember stuff I said to the T! I'm impressed lol.

The relay should be 40amp or more. If you get a 5 pin relay, the middle pin is for deactivating the fogs when the highbeams are on. a tad more wiring, but thats how it should be by law...oh well. The relay way was a very clean install. If I had to do it again, I would do the relay way and save a few bux.

***BE CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE TRIM BELOW THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER*** If you lift up and out, you risk chipping the cluster, like I did on mine. Lift out and DOWN slighly to avoid this.

Lastly, do NOT zip tie the harness in the front bumper to anything. You want your bumper to be removed easily without having to cut a bunch of harness out of the way.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I read through it 4-5 more times and built a solid mental image. My only question would be, how do you wire the trigger wire into the 5 pin on the switch.... I've got the GTI switch sittin here next to me and I can't figure it out.. the 5 pin(trigger) is a male, so is there a location on the back of the switch housing to screw in the trigger wire w/ a spade, or does it somehow just fit into the headlight switch?

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
You take apart the harness connector for the headlight switch. The case somes off after prying on a little tab. The trigger wire is FEMALE, it's just so small you may not see it. Maybe matt can take apicture with his really awsome camera.

·
Still Plays with Cars
1,271 Posts
Like two peas in a pod...great write up guys. Looks good MDonders. Nice work U2.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts