Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After waiting for four weeks my front fogs arrived in the mail yesterday! Nothing is broken, so UPS gets to live another day.

I was planning on installing them with mdonders here on the forums next saturday, but after work today I just HAD to install them. As some of you MIGHT know I went the full factory route and purchased a highline CECM. Routing the harness was time consuming, but not hard. I did not zip tie anything to the front bumper but just let the harness rest in the front lip area away from everything near another harness. The reason for this was for easy bumper removal. The bumper has to be removed for a variety of reasons and having an extra harness to cut out is a PITA and your dealer will probably give you lip about it.
Anyhoo, the hardest part was probably dealing with the small wires under the dash...it's just a tight area. I also found a wire ready to break in the factory harness...time to repair that next week. Total time was about an hour and a half from unlocking the doors to coding the module for fogs. Your time will probably vary depending on tool availability (my tools were all at work, so I had to improv everything) and skill level (i gotz skillz, yo).

A full DIY will be done by me and mdonders (Matt) next week with LOTS of pics of his car and his install. For now I'm gonna show off my work.

Lastly, I enabled the fogs and turned on the cold bulb detection. I also turned on the feature which disables the fogs with high beams...since it's the law and all here in NY.

Enough chat, here are the pics!

^City lights and fogs.

^ Low beams and fogs

Sources: Fog kit www.oempl.us
Euro switch: Parts4euro.com
Highline module: vw dealer in summit, NJ (forget name)

I would like to thank shawng and others on here who have done diy's or semi diy's for the foglights. I also wanna thank the IRS for giving my money back so I could purchase these fogs.

Reactions: mdonders

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Looks amazing. I cannot wait to get mine installed (although I am going the route with a relay) we will definitely post pictures and a full DIY. Should be a fun install and I cannot wait.

I can't believe how amazing they look. :D

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My parents stopped by while in the middle of the install and they were in awe about how good they look. I took them to the wall of brick at starbux and aligned them. Set the car 25' back from the wall...measured to the center of the fog which was 13.5". Went to the wall and went 4" down from 13.5. Set my beam pattern line at the mark and that was it.

Now, maybe a HID fog install with matching hid headlights! I'm crazy for thinkin that...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Nitro -

Those look absolutely sweet :cool: ! Congratulations, and nice job on the install! I'm looking forward to your DIY on these after your GTG w/ mdonders...

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how much did it cost you btw?
Lots. Full factory way:

245 for highline module
60 for switch
317 for foglight kit complete
-----------------------------------
$622 includes all taxes and shipping fees. I get full factory function..cold bulb detection, fogs as drls, etc etc...

Matt is doing his with a relay and will be paying for everything but the module.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Mine will be $377 for the switch + foglight kit and then $10 for the relay. :D

I will have some nice pictures with the DIY.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I eagerly anticipate the DIY goodne that results from your efforts, as this one has been on my "short list" of improvements for a while. I'm interested in going the relay route as well, as I don't intend to replace my module, and also lack local access to a VAG-com. Good luck, Matt (& Nitro)

·
We're Geekin'
8,488 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow...seems like this sparked a LOT of interest. I'm glad and it is very rewarding when you do a modification that is very useful. We won't let ya down on the diy. The parts are not available at dealers, so don't break anything.

·
Premium Member
16,519 Posts
Looks good. I was thinking about doing the fogs lights but after seeing the price tag I think I will pass. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah i wish i had the money to do it, too. is there any chance my 08 rabbit could already have the highline cecm? that would save some money up front and might make it a little more doable... i would definitely want to go the "factory" route like you did, nitroscope.

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
highly doubt it.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Nitro..

Those look amazing...I am soooo jealous! Beautiful job! But omg very $pendy!

SB

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hey Nitro, I see that the lights from OEMpl.us are all Projector... What if i went to the vortex and snagged a 100$ pair of fogs off of someones GTI?
What would I need to finish the install using that method (I already have the swtich)
Is it possible to wire the reflectors into the rabbit w/o the highline (like donders is doing with the projectors) I'm trying to do this as nicely as possible with the least amount of money, and I dont need projector fogs, I'm fine w/ reflectors.

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I answered in Matts relay fog post. You can't use gti fogs in the rabbit...different mounts. You CAN get rabbit (euro golf) fogs in either version and use OEM plus's reflector OR projector foglight harnesses for 50 bux. Then just follow mats post for the rest of the install.

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump for reading pleasure!

·
We're Geekin'
8,488 Posts
yeah i wish i had the money to do it, too. is there any chance my 08 rabbit could already have the highline cecm? that would save some money up front and might make it a little more doable... i would definitely want to go the "factory" route like you did, nitroscope.
There is hope. My rabbit has the highline CECM, as confirmed by my VAG-COM... w00t!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts