Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall several years ago, there was a thread about replacing front vent windows and switching from glue-on hardware to bolt-on hardware. Yesterday, one of the vent windows (glue on hardware) on my 1980 VW Rabbit (swing open vent windows) shattered into a million pieces, leaving behind the 3 pieces of hardware but with shards of glass still stuck to each piece. Would someone be able to point me back to the old thread or else explain to me what would be involved in repairing my mess? Are the bolt-on windows/frames/hardware still available anywhere? What was the procedure for replacing? (I recall it was a bit involved?) Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,728 Posts
The bolt on windows are avail at Junkyards and suck, ebay amazon or the WTB threads here the VWVortex, thesamba.com as well as partsplaceinc.com and
carparts4sale.com out of Iowa. of course there is ebay.

Do not order seals from mk1autohaus.com

Vintagerubber.com
RSJ Parts - RabbitParts.com
vwheritage.com
werk34.de

You may need new seals, as well, and those were really pricey.

It is better if you get the new frame as well as the frames are different.

See:

and

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bolt on windows are avail at Junkyards and suck, ebay amazon or the WTB threads here the VWVortex, thesamba.com as well as partsplaceinc.com and
carparts4sale.com out of Iowa. of course there is ebay.

Do not order seals from mk1autohaus.com

Vintagerubber.com
RSJ Parts - RabbitParts.com
vwheritage.com
werk34.de

You may need new seals, as well, and those were really pricey.

It is better if you get the new frame as well as the frames are different.

See:

and
Thanks so much for your fast reply and for your valuable information. Is there a difference between 2-door vent windows and 4-door vent windows? I hope that I might be able to find and purchase the window and frame as an assembly?? Would you know what's involved in swapping the triangular window frames? How much of the door must be dismantled? My existing rubber seal is in very good shape but I'm afraid that if I disturb it to remove the frame, it may become useless. Likewise, my door card. Nothing in the door has been touched in 42+ years; everything is fine now (except for the glass) but I have a bad feeling that everything may become useless after disturbing it to remove/replace the metal frame. Or is there some safe way to remove the glass shards from my existing hardware and try to glue back a replacement glue-on window, using rearview mirror adhesive? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,728 Posts
The vents from a 2 door are the same part number as the 4 door.
Triangle Slope Font Parallel Symmetry

Never remove them off of my Rabbit, but I have only removed them off my 90's Cabriolets.
So they are different as I didn't have a door with the window frame. The above picture is from a Cabriolet.

Here is the 80 rabbit

Triangle Font Parallel Slope Symmetry

I always took the window glass out.
but the Rabbits, are different from a Cabriolet.

There may be a how to on the VW vortex under the GOLF mk1 section or a you tube vid.
get to know the ETKA, https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/rabbit/rag/1980-27/8/837-110000/
the rabbit was known as a GOLF in the UK, and the uk section has more information than the usa did.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The vents from a 2 door are the same part number as the 4 door.
View attachment 47953
Never remove them off of my Rabbit, but I have only removed them off my 90's Cabriolets.
So they are different as I didn't have a door with the window frame. The above picture is from a Cabriolet.

Here is the 80 rabbit

View attachment 47954

I always took the window glass out.
but the Rabbits, are different from a Cabriolet.

There may be a how to on the VW vortex under the GOLF mk1 section or a you tube vid.
get to know the ETKA, https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/usa/rabbit/rag/1980-27/8/837-110000/
the rabbit was known as a GOLF in the UK, and the uk section has more information than the usa did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts