Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I have a 1956 Oval running a 1600 twin port engine. I wish to remove the fuel filter from the engine bay to the outlet from the fuel tank. Can anyone tell me the correct size cloth covered fuel hose to fit. I am confused with varied answers of 5mm, 6mm, 7mm etc.
Are all the fuel hoses the same size and same with filters????
Thanks Ton Ton

·
Registered
205 Posts
I feel like my wife when she says "I don't know anything about that but ..," our biggest bug supplier lists braided fuel line as 5mm and inline filters at 6.3 mm (1/4"/5/16" universal). If I had an oval I would maybe worry about correct fuel line. Engine not correct so I would buy 1/4" rubber here. Probably 6mm there.

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
59 Posts
The stock hose is 5.5mm ID cloth covered. 6mm or 1/4 inch will come off. I think most aftermarket fuel filters are made for US hose sizes (5/16" or 1/4"). The main hose problem comes from the fact that the metal fuel line and the aftermarket filter are too far off in size for one hose to be used. I think most people that use an aftermarket filter use 6.3mm or 1/4 inch fuel line with good quality hose clamps on both ends. You can tighten the hose clamps pretty tight on the VW metal fuel lines but don't crush the fuel line or you will eventually create a crack next to the clamp. I have used 1/4" hose but have good quality properly sized stainless steel hose clamps and checked them for tightness from time to time.

Most people that are into VWs have see pictures of engine fires caused by the lack of clamps on fuel lines in engine compartments. Less often are fuel leaks at the fuel tank, mostly caused by cracks in the aging fuel lines. Fuel drips into the tunnel and smells up the interior.

I would recommend gentle binds in the hose, have the hose fit at least 3/4" over the line and use good clamping. I would recommend getting fuel line for use with ethanol fuel, and also getting a large metal fuel filter if you are putting one at the tank and not one of the cheap little plastic ones. Tie wrap the filter to something solid to keep it from flopping around and causing cracks/leaks in the fuel hose.

Others may have different recommendations about changing from the factory VW configuration. Gas burns very hot so be careful when making these types of changes. Check the tightness of the hoses from time to time since the fuel line could soften over time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stock hose is 5.5mm ID cloth covered. 6mm or 1/4 inch will come off. I think most aftermarket fuel filters are made for US hose sizes (5/16" or 1/4"). The main hose problem comes from the fact that the metal fuel line and the aftermarket filter are too far off in size for one hose to be used. I think most people that use an aftermarket filter use 6.3mm or 1/4 inch fuel line with good quality hose clamps on both ends. You can tighten the hose clamps pretty tight on the VW metal fuel lines but don't crush the fuel line or you will eventually create a crack next to the clamp. I have used 1/4" hose but have good quality properly sized stainless steel hose clamps and checked them for tightness from time to time.

Most people that are into VWs have see pictures of engine fires caused by the lack of clamps on fuel lines in engine compartments. Less often are fuel leaks at the fuel tank, mostly caused by cracks in the aging fuel lines. Fuel drips into the tunnel and smells up the interior.

I would recommend gentle binds in the hose, have the hose fit at least 3/4" over the line and use good clamping. I would recommend getting fuel line for use with ethanol fuel, and also getting a large metal fuel filter if you are putting one at the tank and not one of the cheap little plastic ones. Tie wrap the filter to something solid to keep it from flopping around and causing cracks/leaks in the fuel hose.

Others may have different recommendations about changing from the factory VW configuration. Gas burns very hot so be careful when making these types of changes. Check the tightness of the hoses from time to time since the fuel line could soften over time.
Very comprehensive, thank you.
Cheers Ton Ton

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I feel like my wife when she says "I don't know anything about that but ..," our biggest bug supplier lists braided fuel line as 5mm and inline filters at 6.3 mm (1/4"/5/16" universal). If I had an oval I would maybe worry about correct fuel line. Engine not correct so I would buy 1/4" rubber here. Probably 6mm there.
Thank you. Ton Ton

1 - 5 of 5 Posts