Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a standard beetle in Germany while in college.. 34 hp, 1200 cc, never let me down.. Now, years later having the time, and some extra cash, I'm thinking about getting myself a reasonbly ok bug, as a project. Have been searching around a found quite a few, late 60's. early 70's standard, and super beetles, with the newer front end. Being here in the US, quite a lot of them are the auto-stick version, and most of the time the ones with the auto stick also are cheaper.. My question is, how hard/expensive is it to convert one back to manual ? I suppose one could get a transmission from the junkyard, but what else would there be involved ? Any info would be appreciated !

·
Registered
299 Posts
Had a standard beetle in Germany while in college.. 34 hp, 1200 cc, never let me down.. Now, years later having the time, and some extra cash, I'm thinking about getting myself a reasonbly ok bug, as a project. Have been searching around a found quite a few, late 60's. early 70's standard, and super beetles, with the newer front end. Being here in the US, quite a lot of them are the auto-stick version, and most of the time the ones with the auto stick also are cheaper.. My question is, how hard/expensive is it to convert one back to manual ? I suppose one could get a transmission from the junkyard, but what else would there be involved ? Any info would be appreciated !
welcome to the group, i have converted American cars from autoto manual transmissions, is not a major project but is a project for sure. you will of course have to change out more than the transmission, would have to include a bell housing, different fly wheel, pressure plate, clutch place, clutch pedal,and usualy a smaller brake pedal as well, you might be better off to get a manual trans one, cost wise would probably be cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
299 Posts
welcome to the group, i have converted American cars from autoto manual transmissions, is not a major project but is a project for sure. you will of course have to change out more than the transmission, would have to include a bell housing, different fly wheel, pressure plate, clutch place, clutch pedal,and usualy a smaller brake pedal as well, you might be better off to get a manual trans one, cost wise would probably be cheaper in the long run.
sorry forgot, also will need transmission gear shifter assembly and connection rods and levers, and clutch cables/rods

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answer.
You're probably right when you say that in the end it will be maybe even cheaper to get one with a manual transmission right away.. I thought about it too and realized that it is much more than swapping out the transmission..::confused::confused:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks for the answer.
You're probably right when you say that in the end it will be maybe even cheaper to get one with a manual transmission right away.. I thought about it too and realized that it is much more than swapping out the transmission..::confused::confused:
i have met very few people happy with the auto trans, lot of luck in you search. just a few with manual trans located on craigs list here in Florida, mayb better luck where you are

·
Registered
24 Posts
i have met very few people happy with the auto trans, lot of luck in you search. just a few with manual trans located on craigs list here in Florida, mayb better luck where you are
Welcome and good luck. Keep looking. Lots of old bugs around. Craigslist usually has them. I dropped facebook but noticed adds there almost always said auto but description would say stick or manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts