Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, got a mk5 golf golf 1.4. Noticed the battery light was flickering like a disco light, took it to my mechanic who tested power and said it was fine. I noticed when going up a hill the radio would cut out, but more alarmingly on the motorway the dash power cut out and all the dials dropped. I just noticed it's also the headlights too, it seems to be when the car is put under a bit of pressure. As in motorway or up a hill. My mechanic and myself have no idea what it would be, I'd like to get it sorted rather than get another car :) any pointers would be most appreciated thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,419 Posts
What I would be looking at is a few things.

The State of the Battery Cables especially grounds, as in the Battery to the Frame and the frame to the engine/transmission.

The Battery light flickering is an indication that the battery has lost it's charge from the alternator to the battery. So I would suspect the alternator connections should be looked at as well.

It is not unusual for a "Mechanic" will test for things but not see a issue is because they aren't trained in Electric's specifically sure they can use a computer to diagnose things but other than that and changing a light bulb are beyond the knowledge of Ohm's law and the like.

The "Battery Light dancing" is an indication that you are running off your battery, as when the alternator is charging properly the light stays off. So what can cause that to go on and off under torque load, "IFFY" connections at the Battery.

If you look at your engine when you are "Gooseing" the throttle you will see it rocks back and forth, this causes flexure in the electrical lines where they are not hard and fast to the frame...

Now a bad Ground between the engine, and frame can cause similar issues as well as the Alternator power cables.
I would start there. The fact that the car doesn't "die" is more indicative of an issue between the Alternator and the positive battery post.

Reactions: Golf-wedgeit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Briano for taking the time, it sounds like you've got a good overview of that. I will indeed start with the battery connections and the battery post and go from there. Again really appreciate it. I didn't want to give up on the car, especially when the engine runs well and I'm used to it now!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can I just say another big thanks Briano1234, awesome advice and very much appreciated.
I gave my mechanic the advice and a bit of cable fixing around the problem has been solved, which is a massive relief. Engine runs so well, seemed a shame to not be able to use the car.
Big thanks again :)

·
Super Moderator
10,419 Posts
Always nice to know an issue is fixed.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I had an '82 Ford LTD Police Cruiser, and when I would make bends,
my lights would flicker, and engine would cut out. Well, one night,
I saw sparks flying from the top right passenger side of the hood,
right at the corner. Turned out, the battey tie-down was busted,