Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 R32 experienced ground contact with the air dam many times,which broke off gradually in multiple pieces. Because the air dam is tied in with the plastic body parts surrounding the grille, and the plastic fenders and the inside wheel well linings, both fender seams broke away, and bulged out. These body parts are knitted together, or interdigitated, so when the interlocking fingers are broken, all the plastic panels have to be replaced. I used duct tape on the fender seams for a few months, but finally went to a body shop and paid about 1600 dollars for all new replacement parts, with installation. The body shop cut off the air dam on my instructions, but note there is a plastic skid plate tied into the entire assembly. Now I do not scrape bottom in my driveway where there is a minor change in the angle of the slope.
I read in the Owners' Manual for the R32, and the GTI, that the ground clearance on the R32 is 1.9 inches lower than the GTI. That is clearly stated in the specifications, but it is hard to believe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This "lightbulb" Thread:Ground Clearance vs scraping bottom. It should be in the R32 Forum. Also I am not a new member. I put in two other posts today, on R32 Forum, and have two posts from 09-09-2011.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts