Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a heavy down pour, I opened up the real passenger door to find the foot well ~2 inches in water. Looking online, it seem the speak seal in door might have failed. I removed the door card and found, right enough, the seal had failed. After taking the speaker off, I sprayed water on the outside of the window and found about half the water being sprayed on the window, was cascading down the inside of the door and leaking through the plastic plug holes that keep the door card in place and the speaker. I presume this is not an acceptable amount of water to come through the door?? I'm now looking to the window seal. It looks OK, but are these a common thing to fail - perhaps its not a correct fit....?
I bought the car from a car dealer a few months ago and this is the first heavy rain its experienced as the car is parked undercover when not being driven.

·
Registered
Mk7 Golf Match TDI BMT DSG
10 Posts
Have you checked if the water is coming in through the boot area thats a more common fault, via the rear light cluster or the air pressure vent and then running into the foot well, I would check the bottom of the boot as well as the door.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion @Guvs23. Checked the boot but all dry. I ended up stopping by my local VW dealer and asked their opinion. They said, window seals rarely fail and spraying water from a bucket/hose etc was not a realistic test as we wouldn't get that volume normally...fair point.The speak seal was definitely shot, but resealed and placed back in with rivet nuts and since then, the foot well has been dry. A bit of an eye opener as as to just how much water goes into the doors I guess.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts