Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just got a 2009 vw rabbit but traded my mkIV golf for it. The biggest complaint is that vw didn't give same color body moldings. So very annoying not to mention the focus on gas economy (getting up hills in my mk4 vs mk5….no questions, hands down my golf was a BEAST up a hill at 25k rpm in 4th. The rabbit is so slow……………..Anywho, back to the aesthetics, I need candy white moldings any suggestions?! I see the fronts are reasonable but the sides seem a bit steep. I was wondering if anyone did this on the cheap since paint is the most expensive component. Help Please! HATE MY BLACK MOLDINGS!!!!!

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
remove them and have a shop color match them.

then, reinstall them. do the fronts while you're at it.

did you get the auto?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will ask around to the shops! No its not an auto…I just didn't want to beat up on her too badly yet. Ill have my fiancé do that, because if he breaks her, he's responsible. He races so he knows a bit more than I do about limits :)

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
Just down shift to 3rd. You can go to 80 mph easily in that gear.

Play around in 3rd for a while, you'll be able to feel out
the 2.5's powerband.

The 4 door rabbits came with color matched side moldings.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to, I don't know why I'm so nervous about this car??? I think because I'm just not used to all the new technology. Ive been driving manual cars since I was 14 (so a REALLY long time, 22 yrs.!!). So much can go wrong with cars now and I have no clue how to fix them as opposed to my older makes/models ('81 BMW, my '89 Saabs, countless 80's Hondas and the '03 Golf). Craziness, smh
It doesn't help either that all my mechanic pals won't even dare go near this Rabbit :/

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
the programmed rev-hang on this vehicle allows for easy down-shifting if you aren't in a hurry.

the 2009 (manual trans) model in all honesty, shouldn't have too much go wrong with it. i've driven 150k+ miles on my 2009 with only one hardware failure (an o2 sensor that took 1/2 hour to replace).

as long as you put the correct vw 502.00+ spec; full synthetic oil it should treat you right for a very long time. these have the timing chains not belts; so that's one thing you won't have to worry about. it will give plenty of warning before needing to be changed.

what can wreck the engine quickly this is a mechanical over-rev (e.g. going 70mph and shifting into 1st or 2nd gear on accident). but then again, this goes for all manual transmission vehicles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts