Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1980 Rabbit, York compressor:

Some 15-20 years ago, heater core sprang leak. Not wanting to tackle the job at that time, I used "stop leak" which seems to have actually held up since then.

Some 10-15 years ago, the actuator started acting up. It works OK when it's warm but on cold days, it won't budge until it's heated up. Then it suddenly makes a noise and begins to work normally. Also been living with this issue.

Now A/C has sprung a refrigerant leak that empties whole system within an hour or so. Neither sniffer nor dye have uncovered anything under the hood or at the expansion valve near the firewall, so strongly suspect evaporator core. (Would need to evac, recharge, and use sniffer at vents with blower low or off in order to verify?)

Looks like I should consider replacing all 3 above items at the same time. I know that knee bar must be removed first. I think there was a thread some years back that included a "trick" to skip some of the hassle?? The Bentley I have does not have any info at all about the a/c system. Any diagrams or procedures?? I know cooling system will need to be drained. Does instrument panel or dashboard need to be removed or disassembled? Where would these parts be available from?

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
The York system is a right royal pain. Yes you could have a leak at the evap internally, but I would suspect the condensor or compressor first. You could take the Drain line off the heater box passenger side and see if your dye is present there.

Using a Dye also takes a strong UV light, and I have finally found a leaky compressor on one of mine, but it is a Sanden.

If Pbucket wasn't being the BUTT I would show you the parts breakdowns for them, I will keep watch and when pbucket frees up, I will post them then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts