Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Anissa and I am currently working on restoring a 69 Beetle convertible. She is beautiful and so far has not given me toooooo much trouble. She is however having a hard time keeping her battery charged. Not sure what that is about. I have tried a few things but nothing has solved the problem yet. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you may have an electrical draw ,that drains the battery when it sits idle. I am assuming it charges ok while running. Pull off 1 battery terminal, + reinstall it while looking for a spark, when touched to battery post. If it sparks, you have a draw. If so, go to the fuse panel, + remove the 1st fuse. check again for spark at battery, repeat as necessary until no spark. That will tell you which circuit has the problem. consult a wiring diagram for your car, and proceed to check for bare wires ,pinched wires, places that the insulation has been worn off, and areas that could be touching metal. Also , clean all ground connections, and fuse connectors. This is a little time consuming, but you won't be paying a shop to do the same process. Goodluck !

·
Registered
3 Posts
i am also having the same problem with a recently new battery. Will try and post back to the site. Thanks.

I am also looking for information on my Mexican Beetle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts