Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Totally new to this scene, i live in UK & always wanted to buy a old beetle & restore it. After looking everywhere I found one.
I haven’t bought the car yet but got some pictures.
Seller saying it’s 1965 model can you guys help me to determine the year of the car also how much work car needed or anything about the car just looking at the pictures would be great help.
Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would check on aftermarket sources there in your country. Obviously will need lots of body parts (here in US cheaper to replace than repair), complete interior, paint. Check engine by seeing if large pulley moves in and out. This end play means time for complete rebuild. Add up all those costs. Check for rust too. Floor pans are notorious. Good luck. 1965 here was 6 volt. A lot were converted to 12 volt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have owned a 66 and a 67 bug - that one is a bodge job. Wrong tail lights, front lights look odd, rust along the edges of the floor pan visible, dents that look like they have filler. Very rough interior. If it were offered free I might take it, but would not buy that unless you want a very long term, expensive project. Pull up all the carpets and get a good look at the floor, they all rust out eventually and are very hard to find aftermarket. As mentioned, a 65 would be 6 volt electrics unless it was updated. Update would require new battery, new generator (or alternator) voltage regulator, all bulbs and a new coil. Dropping resistor on the wipers and wiper motor also requires upgrade. Oil pressure and temp if I recall were actual copper tube to the instrument, not electric. If electric, also has to be updated sender and gauge in going from 6 to 12 V.

Put a gauge on the pistons and measure compression, all should be above 60 PSI and close to each other in pressure reading. Also measure the oil pressure with a real gauge. Oil pump gets worn over time with the grit that circulates as the screen only catches big particles. My 66 had oil pressure issues of which I was blissfuly unaware until the crankshaft spun a bearing and seized solid for lack of oil. Rebuilt the engine in my apartment, on the floor. Good times.

Good luck if you buy it but you might want to search a bit more, there are better examples to be had.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s great help guys thank you, yes I can see it need loads of work, I’m getting this car in £700 in dollars i think it’s $800

·
Registered
8 Posts
This advice is coming from one who is just completing a total beetle resto. If you don't have lots of extra cash money don't do it. It's very expensive to do one of these cars these days. It can easily cost up to 20K to do it right, especially if it needs very much metal repair. My advice is to buy yourself an really nice car. I know what lots of guys are thinking when they decide to restore a beat up rusty bug. They think they will start the project, buy a few parts at a time and really do it up right. That ain't gonna happen. It will sit around after being taken apart, get in the way and finally sold off a piece at at time. It happens time after time. Buy your self a nice car, make it yours and start enjoying the VW bug from day one. I'm just sayin.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This advice is coming from one who is just completing a total beetle resto. If you don't have lots of extra cash money don't do it. It's very expensive to do one of these cars these days. It can easily cost up to 20K to do it right, especially if it needs very much metal repair. My advice is to buy yourself an really nice car. I know what lots of guys are thinking when they decide to restore a beat up rusty bug. They think they will start the project, buy a few parts at a time and really do it up right. That ain't gonna happen. It will sit around after being taken apart, get in the way and finally sold off a piece at at time. It happens time after time. Buy your self a nice car, make it yours and start enjoying the VW bug from day one. I'm just sayin.
You are correct. I was searching for photos from when I bought my project bug. Pictures are four years old and only progress is I moved it into garage lately. This may be the year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts