Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I have a 2012 Passat 2.5L S PVEZ, automatic transmission, no DSG. Some really weird stuff has been happening lately:
While driving, the WRENCH symbol (service indicator) will appear, and at the same time my TRANSMISSION indication (D, R, N etc) will disappear from the display. The transmission will start to run rougher during both downshifts, in turns, and when accelerating. Just fyi: I had the 50K service done about a month and a half ago, and svc light was reset. I am at 53K and no where near the next service interval.
I tried resetting the service light, which works only after I let the car sit for about 15 minutes. The wrench symbol disappears, my gear indication is back, and shifting is smooth as ever.
Until the wrench appears again the next day.
I'm clueless. I'm suspecting its something electrical but not sure what.
Any idea what is going on?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: went to the dealership, they ran a scan and found the fuel solenoid module was going bad. No other codes. They ordered a new one and will install it when it arrives. Curious to see if that is it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update: replaced solenoid but did not solve the problem. Hooked up scanner got fault code 01314 ecu (no other codes) under transmission. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: back on the shop. Checking wiring between ecu and TCU and abcdefg etc.
This thread is on fire btw, can't keep up with all the replies. NLOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have had the same problem with my Passat '12 SE (5xcyl)...purchased in USA and am living in Germany. Last June, the wrench came on and stayed on. German VW mechanics diagnosed problem as bad ECU - defect with “Engine Control Module/ECM” Part Number: 07K 906 055 AN. I purchased the ECM from dealership in USA ($443.00) and had it shipped and installed here. Fixed the problem until recently. Occasionally, the transmission will run rough and the wrench will appear where the gear indicator was - solid, does NOT flash. Car runs, abet rough. The system resets after shut down and start up and runs fine. Very strange.......is clearly (to me) a systemic problem that VW needs to look into and address. Appreciate any feedback you folks have on your end.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back in the shop today. The dealership checked all the wiring and ran diagnostics and still could not identify the source of the problem. They then ran the new diagnostic software from VW which was supposed to take care of the problem. But after driving off I discovered I lost my cruise control. So I'm back. This is getting a bit annoying. A bit much actually.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:
The dealership uploaded new software to the ECU which sofar appears to have taken care of the problem, while making the car run like a racecar :) :)
But unfortunately it also shut down the cruise control.
Back to the dealership tomorrow to have the cruise switched back on. Hopefully that will be the end of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: hopefully the last one.

Cc is back in operation. So what was learned?

Unknown issue with ECU caused described symptoms.

Dealership contacted VW. Proposed solution was to upload new software from VW to the ECU (I had no idea that was even possible).

After the update, the ECU was reset to default settings which caused the cc to be deactivated.

Dealership went back in and reactivated the cc.

The car has been running great ever since, it could be my imagination but it drives sportier than before.

I hope this will be the end of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this post is very old, but I ran across it because I was having the exact same symptoms as you described. A Trip to the VW dealer later and it's solved, I HOPE. They updated the software in the ECU and cleaned out the throttle body. Also, as you mentioned flying dutchman, mine seems to drive sportier too. IDK if it actually is or not. My cruise control also stopped working, so I've got a make a trip back to VW, which is 2.5 hours away, to get the cruise control re-enabled.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everybody,

I have a 2012 Passat 2.5L S PVEZ, automatic transmission, no DSG. Some really weird stuff has been happening lately:
While driving, the WRENCH symbol (service indicator) will appear, and at the same time my TRANSMISSION indication (D, R, N etc) will disappear from the display. The transmission will start to run rougher during both downshifts, in turns, and when accelerating. Just fyi: I had the 50K service done about a month and a half ago, and svc light was reset. I am at 53K and no where near the next service interval.
I tried resetting the service light, which works only after I let the car sit for about 15 minutes. The wrench symbol disappears, my gear indication is back, and shifting is smooth as ever.
Hello everybody,

I have same issue in my car passat se 2012 can you tell how you fix it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts