Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is a continuation of my clutch issue but thought it constituted a separate thread. 1981 5speed diesel rabbit pickup. Anyway, original problem was push rod drilled through my thrust plate after just two years so I'm trying to prevent this happening again. After removing the push rod seal? The little rubber thing at the top of the drive shaft, right past that is what I think is a damaged push rod bushing though I can't verify this with my gently. Included is pictures of the damage plus the replacement. If this is a rplacable part(and not the drive shaft itself being broken) any tips on removing it. I can't get it to budge but haven't been forceful being unsure of what I'm looking at

The clutch plate is worn and has oil on it that smells like gear oil, though I definitely have a rear main crankshaft seal leak also.

Also looking for any other tips, I do not want to drop this transmission anytime in the next 5 years at least. . I will replace the rear main(crankshaft)seal, the larger driveshaft seal, throw out bearing, and clutch plate, push rod, push rod bushing(if I figure out where it goes). Thanks!

https://m.imgur.com/a/n6iJDu1

Still can't get the pictures to post, when I copy the link in it says invalid file. I'll try again though

·
Super Moderator
10,616 Posts
That is a lot of scraping on the case... So I would have to ask if that was from debris or plate or flywheel is shimmed too far out.

If that was the case, then I would suspect that the rod and bearing went because of the elliptical action.

Curious.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's from the last time my clutch exploded into pieces and caused that. All the important parts seem okay though It looks exactly the way it did when I had it off last. I may have forgotten to replace the push rod seal and bushing at that time however so that's probably when the damage occurred.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts