Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a VW based antique car with a aircooled 1835cc engine. I need to know how to tune the engine. I do not have specs for that engine, valve adjustment, timing, carburators' adjustment. It has a "049" distributor with centrifugal advance (0231-178-009), Bosh Blue Coil, Yellow Spark plug wires, 2- SOLEX BROSOL carburators (H40/44EIS) without a choke, 3/4 grind camshaft, lightened and balanced flight wheel with 8 pins, heavy clutch, electric fuel pump, large capacity oil pump with spin on filter, 165 PSIG compresion in all cylinders. I'm familiar with stock engines but not with midified engines. It starts just fine but seems to starggle to turn over. It has 800 miles since built but I just started it a few times. I have not driven it until I get info on the engine. Any Help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Tuning this engine is pretty much like you would tune a stock engine. Points @ .016, valves @ .006, Timing @ 30 - 31 degs. @ 3500 rpm. Carburetors will need adjustment as recommended by the manufacturer. The tools I think you should have besides basic handtools and feeler gauges are, a decent analog tach, dwell, volt, OHM, meter and a timing lite. A lot of people say you don't need these pieces of equipment to get the job done while they guess about idle speed RPM, dwell settings, and timing, with the proper equipment, you don't have to guess.

By the way, your starter may struggle to turn the engine over because of the higher compression. It might be that the starter is old, worn, and ready to give out on you. I'd recommend a starter for an engine with higher compression than stock.

Ainokea

1 - 2 of 2 Posts