Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hei. I have a 69 1200 beetle engine. I have chainged pretty much everything. one day it didn't want to start, after a good search found out it was the main power cable. After running a new cable closer to the egnition that the cable damage (just for testing) it now realy struggles to start. is there somthing I'm not thinking off or is there somthing you fantastic people can call me an idiot for not trying. all Suggestions are welcome as I am at a loss with this problem.

·
Registered
232 Posts
hei. I have a 69 1200 beetle engine. I have chainged pretty much everything. one day it didn't want to start, after a good search found out it was the main power cable. After running a new cable closer to the egnition that the cable damage (just for testing) it now realy struggles to start. is there somthing I'm not thinking off or is there somthing you fantastic people can call me an idiot for not trying. all Suggestions are welcome as I am at a loss with this problem.
Di you mean "main cable" the large positive wire to srarter or the smaller wire to ignition switch from battery positive? Either way you want to see full battery voltage. Wire to starter should read same voltage as at battery. Wire to starter solenoid should read same when switch is in start position as the battery positive. Make sure ground connections are tight and clean too. A voltage drop to starter can be ground, bad connection bad wire. Voltage drop to solenoid can be bad ignition switch, misswired switch, bad wire. You can run a stout wire directly from battery to solenoid to see if starter is working. Easiest with right rear wheel removed, car SAFELY on stands, etc. If starter turns, with ignition switch in run car should start. Starter grounds through mount bolts so they need to be making good, secure connection. Ground strap from frame to transmission needs good connection as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah should have sead what cable. it is the small one from the ignition switch. that's where I am at a loss. I get full power everywhere and it cranks easily. but very hard to start. I get fuel and sparks. that's what I dont get before that cable broke it was a 1 second start now it is a 10 second maby start

·
Registered
232 Posts
If the starter motor is turning at normal speed the problem is ignition or fuel system. I would check for voltage to coil and clean, tight connections on both sides of coil and at points (if you have points). Then remove a spark plug and ground to motor while starting and see if you have a good, hot blue spark. If yellow, it is weak. If spark plug is wet or soot covered when removed it can indicate weak spark or too rich carburetor setting. You said you replaced everything. What were you referring to? And, if it started in one second before, what were you fixing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all the ignition system is new. just out off curiosity would the pistons being buggered stop it from wanting to start?

·
Registered
232 Posts
If the compression is low yes. You said it started fast before. Did you mean it no longer did so you replaced ignition parts and still starts slowly? I would check compression in that case. Is the engine blowing blue smoke when it runs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chainged all the parts 8 months ago when I got it. and then it cut out completely now and I chainged the power cable from the ignition to the engine. and then it started but with the new not wanting to start problem

·
Registered
232 Posts
We don't see that here in the desert. Usually just steam from the moisture in air on start up. I would check the ignition wiring to coil. If the solenoid wire was bad you could have other wires bad as well. Do you have 12 volts to coil with key on? Does voltage drop if starter is engaged? Just starting on my bug but starter is faulty and burned up my remote starter switch. Just thinking if your starter or solenoid is drawing excessive amperage it would explain the damaged wire and could cause voltage drop to coil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you have been able to give me some good ideas. I suppose that will be the easiest thing to do.
get it up and rewire it completely and start from scratch. unsure about when it is engaged can check that. but I'm taking the weekend off it and spend time with the wife before she kills me

·
Registered
8 Posts
yeah should have sead what cable. it is the small one from the ignition switch. that's where I am at a loss. I get full power everywhere and it cranks easily. but very hard to start. I get fuel and sparks. that's what I dont get before that cable broke it was a 1 second start now it is a 10 second maby start
The wire from the ignition switch goes into the main harness and comes out under the rear seat. Check that connection. From there it goes to the solenoid. You can get a quick start relay and hook it up there and all problems go away.

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
68 Posts
You mentioned two things, hard to get started and white smoke on startup. This could be a flooding problem. Check the choke power connection on the side of the carburetor to make sure it has 12V. It is possible the choke is staying closed or partially closed because the heater is not powered up. This would make it overly rich, causing the white smoke and difficulty in starting. Make sure that the new wire from the ignition switch to the coil also has a connection to the carb choke heater, and to the idle cutoff solenoid (if you have one). This can be overlooked pretty easy when replacing the ignition power wire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You mentioned two things, hard to get started and white smoke on startup. This could be a flooding problem. Check the choke power connection on the side of the carburetor to make sure it has 12V. It is possible the choke is staying closed or partially closed because the heater is not powered up. This would make it overly rich, causing the white smoke and difficulty in starting. Make sure that the new wire from the ignition switch to the coil also has a connection to the carb choke heater, and to the idle cutoff solenoid (if you have one). This can be overlooked pretty easy when replacing the ignition power wire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hei.

yeah been through alot. and have come to the conclusion that most likely it's the choke. so going to get my mate to have a look. hopefully I'm out and about in the weekend

1 - 15 of 15 Posts