Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
i have to confess to not really having much to do with Beetles in the past but a lad who lives with us fancies one. So needless to say, we have found a 1974 1303 for not too bad money. I have checked the usual places slthough like most things from the 70s, it’s covered in under seal. It does seem ok and is naturally tax and mot exempt.
I would welcome any thoughts from the forum members.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm no expert but rust is a concern. Floors (very common here to rust through under battery), what you call the boot, and any lower body or window surround. If it runs check all usual things like blowing blue smoke or leaking oil. Saw on a program to pull on crank pulley to check for end play. Excessive endplay indicates engine needs rebuild.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply. No play in crank or smoke so mechanicals seem ok. Small hole in battery box corner but seems to have had work done in psst

·
Registered
1 Posts
As another novice I have 1970 1200 that a family member want to sell. Non runner but could be the battery. been garaged from new so body OK. Can somebody give me a fair ball park figure as to what it’s worth. I know it’s not much to go on

1 - 6 of 6 Posts