Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2007 with 44k. My new mechanic saying I only have to change oil every ten thousand miles. Does that sound ok/correct? THX!!:eek:

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
i do every 10k miles, but i do a lot of highway miles. although, even if i did 50/50 highway/city, i'd still do every 10k miles along with topping-off the oil as needed before the 10k mile mark...

·
Fahrvergnugen
7,057 Posts
Have 2007 with 44k. My new mechanic saying I only have to change oil every ten thousand miles. Does that sound ok/correct? THX!!:eek:
Yes 10,000 miles is the VW recommended oil change interval. I do a lot of city driving so I choose to change every 5,000 which for me ends up being once every 8-9 months. Make sure they only use 502.00 spec full synthetic oil.

Reactions: RustyStar

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Thx for those opinions. I appreciate! he didn't have that special oil this time...used castrol 30...I told him next time I would bring it from auto zone. I'm almost all hwy so I will stick with the 10k. I feel better knowing you guys are doing 10k...new mechanic worked at vw for like 20 years...now gone independent.

·
We're Geekin'
8,488 Posts
If he didn't use vw approved synthetic you need to go back and get the right oil in there. Not using the right oil can mess up your engine which is a much more expensive repair than using the right oil in the first place.

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
that's kind of like using olive oil in your engine and expecting it to work properly.

it's not special oil. its a required specification for that engine. first, figure out exactly what was put in your engine. if it doesn't meet the vw requirements for your engine then it needs to be replaced with some that does. if your mechanic can't recall what was put in the engine, have it replaced anyway...

good luck...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Leon and Acgator and DUslider and thx. I asked him and he said it was castrol 5w30 and did not meet the specs. So I went to pep boys and the vw approved castrol was $10 a bottle, but the Mobil 1 0w40 was $7.50 a bottle on a promotion, so I went with the Mobil 1. Took the car back and he drained it and put the Mobil1 in. I am glad you made your points about using the correct oil...I might have just relied on him and let it go. He said he's just never had a problem using the castrol he's been using. He worked for vw for a long time before going independent, so I just figured he knew what he was talking about...now I don't know if should go back there or not...he's an extremely mild mannered nice guy though...o,also both auto zone and pep boys were clueless when I asked for synthetic oil that was approved by vw....I found out I can buy it cheaper next time at walmart. Anyhoo , she's running on gold now....thx to you! Very appreciative for your help on this one!! Basic stuff...but important. Thanks again! :)

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
Castrol Edge 5w40, Castrol syntec 5w40 (now called edge) Mobil euro formula 0w40, Castrol syntec 0w30 are all approved.

Since 2009 VW has been doing free maintenance on vehicles up to 36k miles and going 10k oil change intervals. Customers frequently go OVER the 10k miles and i've never seen an engine related failure due to this oil change intervals...even on their turbocharged engines. do oil changes every 10k miles OR one year on the oil changes before draining. I personally go 5k miles on my oil, but since I got my new jetta with free maintenance I do an oil change every 6 months since I don't do 10k miles a year and I don't want to throw the schedule off.

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
safest way, just look and read the labels on the oil bottle. it will clearly be stated as 502.00, like in the photos below:

Castrol Edge 0W40:

Castrol 5W40:

Mobil1 0W40:

Motul 5W40:

It only takes a little effort to know for sure. Also, I don't believe walmart carries it. I've never found it sold there and I've looked since 2009.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup that's what my Mobil 1 bottles look like. That's so awsome to have those pictures! I printed and put in my glovebox so now I am all set. I love this forum...thx for all your wonderful advice for the past two years! :)

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
you may want to make sure that they are attached somewhere in your owners manual or some other notepad/booklet and not just loose in the box. just to be on the safe side because the intake a.c. duct in the glovebox has been known to suck up papers, receipts, napkins, tissues, etc...

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okie doke I sure will! I do see the Mobil 1 on the Walmart.com site for like $6.50 a bottle...so I'm going there next time.

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
i've seen that at walmart too. but it's usually not the European formula. just flip it over to check...

best thing to do is look out for the sales at the local parts house. sometimes they have promos where you can pick up five quarts and a filter for a good price. the rabbit filters are not on the promo, so they'll put the ~6 bucks towards the actual filter you need. it usually brings the price/quart to under 7 bucks...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but just thought I'd ask a question regarding synthetic and the typical 3 month change interval.

When using synthetic, do I still have to follow that 3 month interval or I can just follow in miles? I've been riding my bike ever since it got nice up here in Indiana and my car has been stationary for most of the time. Last oil change was back in March and I've only put about 1,500 miles on it so far . So should I follow that 3 month interval or should I just wait till those miles rack up?

HTC One using Tapatalk 2

·
Fahrvergnugen
7,057 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but just thought I'd ask a question regarding synthetic and the typical 3 month change interval.

When using synthetic, do I still have to follow that 3 month interval or I can just follow in miles? I've been riding my bike ever since it got nice up here in Indiana and my car has been stationary for most of the time. Last oil change was back in March and I've only put about 1,500 miles on it so far . So should I follow that 3 month interval or should I just wait till those miles rack up?

HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Recommended oil change intervals from VW are 10,000 miles. I personally change the oil every 5,000 miles since most of my driving is stop-and-go city driving. The 3 month/3,000 oil change is no longer the standard that was set by places liked Jiffy Lube. Today's synthetic oils allow for a much greater interval.

Reactions: Sinan
1 - 17 of 17 Posts