Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
161 Posts
That does not look like a factory engine serial number.

• I think that is a zero but VW does not have any that I am aware of that start with zero. Buses have a series that starts with "O".
  • I think VW stamps serial numbers with a fixture so the numbers are nicely spaced out and centered. Looks like this is manually stamped.

I think that is an engine built by an engine builder. Lots put their own numbers on the aftermarket cases for tracking purposes.

·
Registered
67 Bug. 2275cc, 10.1:1, 48IDA,Eagle2242Cam,2300Lb clutch, 3.85 diff. Lowered,roll bar, 5pt, swaybars
161 Posts
Looks really nice. Just needs some cleaning. Definitely a rebuilt engine. What a great find.
Non-stock gas pump and good tin. Looks like a 12V generator on an earlier style engine. Looks like a 34 carb from a much later engine, maybe mid 70 but with smog removed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Generator by size. Brosol bigger than standard solex so I get that the carb is a Brosol 30/31PICT instead of a native solex 34. It has the idle air adjustment that is on the later solex carbs plus an extra vacuum fitting. Should have blown the pictures up bigger :) Carb and intake manifold will need a cleaning, soak in Simply Green, as they are surely filled with fine dirt/sand. Also if you are real careful with the manifold taking it off, maybe loosen the head ends and stuff rags into the holes, you can avoid getting dirt into the heads/cylinders. Alternately pull the rockers so the valves will all fully close and then blow out the intake ports with compressed air. Although since you live in a desert area you probably have your own process for taking care of fine dirt that gets into everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts