Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The infotainment system on my Golf GTD suddenly stopped working after a brief stop. The screen logo appears as normal but then stays locked. None of the buttons either side work. The radio works but can only be controlled via the steering wheel control. Media does not work, even if a cd is inserted in the glove compartment. No access of course to menus, phone, or navigation. I've checked all the relevant fuses but as the screen is not completely blank this probably wasn't an issue. Have tried to reboot by holding on/off button down for the required time without success. Any ideas would be appreciated, although I suspect something hideously expensive has failed.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update...have been informed by the VW dealer that the control unit has failed, probably due to missing software updates. Despite the fact they should have updated the software during routine services, they have quoted me £2,200 for a new unit or for me to source a used one and they will fit for free. I'm not amused as the car is only 4 years old and has recorded less than 20,000 miles. Will be taking this further. Have any other owners experienced this? It seems vw have known about this issue since 2018 and there have been around 56,000 owners worldwide have been contacted about the Discover Media 2 Infotainment System needing to be updated as a voluntary service measure...sadly not me..:mad:

· Registered
Mk7 Golf Match TDI BMT DSG
11 Posts
Am I right in thinking that this problem is avoidable if you have the software ECU/unit updates when it is serviced ? if so I had better check mine has been done as I bought a 2014 Mk7 recently but no service book has been passed onto me. :(

· Registered
1 Posts
I am also having issues with my infotainment system. Last week the screen just went blank and hasn't come back on. Checked the fuses, even got the AA to test the battery, all is in order. Im dreading the journey to VW as i know they are gonna just say, you need a new unit!!!!

Anyone got any advice?

[GTD 2017]

· Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2017 Passat SEL with less than 30k miles. the Infotainment center has been malfunctioning for about a month. Took it in for service routine service and to troubleshoot the system. was charged $155 for the troubleshoot and suggest replacement for $1600. Called Customer Care who politely referred me back to dealer. Calls to the Service Manager there have not been returned.
These systems are like all computers, they need updates periodically. We have paid the $17.99/ monthly subscription, which should, of course, include any software or firmware updates. I do not intend to just roll over on this issue.
I have a case number at Custoemr care and will be bulldogging the dealer until I get someone up the food chain. I am sure the dealer will never provide a new part or installation unless they are supported by the maker.

· Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2017 Passat SEL with less than 30k miles. the Infotainment center has been malfunctioning for about a month. Took it in for service routine service and to troubleshoot the system. was charged $155 for the troubleshoot and suggest replacement for $1600. Called Customer Care who politely referred me back to dealer. Calls to the Service Manager there have not been returned.
These systems are like all computers, they need updates periodically. We have paid the $17.99/ monthly subscription, which should, of course, include any software or firmware updates. I do not intend to just roll over on this issue.
I have a case number at Custoemr care and will be bulldogging the dealer until I get someone up the food chain. I am sure the dealer will never provide a new part or installation unless they are supported by the maker.
I have a 2017 SEL and the Infotainment system Touch screen and other functionalities are mostly non-functional. Only 35K and it's off warranty and I tires to call the dealer for a check to check, but didn't get through. I have to take my GPS for long distance travel. Trying to find a replacement and some instructions to remove and replace that. I just guessed that they will charge close to $2K for replacements. Let me know if you get any resolution. Please and Thank you.
Regards.

· Registered
2 Posts
After loaning my 2017 Golf (25K) to my daughters for their holiday during the recent heatwave, I have a nonfuntional black screen infotainment system. After checking that there was no power problems I took it to our local VW dealer from whom I purchased the car. They required the car for the whole day, after which they charged me £156.00 to inform me of a fact that I already knew, that is, that the MIB control box (3Q0035874B) is not functioning properly. They then gave me a quote to replace the box, £2583.48. On returning home I examined the control box carefully to find that its computing ability is completely functional and that the problem is the software stored in memory. I therefore consider that the VW dealership is incompetant and is probably supported in this by the VW hierarchy. Like many others I am very angry and propose to write to VW (in German) complaining about this near criminal behaviour. I am a retired 84 year old widower who cannot afford to waste money that has been hard earned.

· Registered
1 Posts
[new 2016 Beetle Convertible RLine] Approximately 2 years the infotainment and my Apple 6S+ phone had no problems. Suddenly, the the infotainment shuts down for about 15 seconds, will reboot and search for my phone, all my phone contacts are gone. Taken to dealer. My phone worked fine in other VW, other vehicles. Their solution-I needed a new phone. For the previous years , I rebooted my phone before getting/traveling in the car-that seemed to work. Friday, 9/16, I bought a brand new IPhone 12. I tried it out on my car—- very same freaking problem! what do I do?

· Registered
2 Posts
The infotainment system on my Golf GTD suddenly stopped working after a brief stop. The screen logo appears as normal but then stays locked. None of the buttons either side work. The radio works but can only be controlled via the steering wheel control. Media does not work, even if a cd is inserted in the glove compartment. No access of course to menus, phone, or navigation. I've checked all the relevant fuses but as the screen is not completely blank this probably wasn't an issue. Have tried to reboot by holding on/off button down for the required time without success. Any ideas would be appreciated, although I suspect something hideously expensive has failed.
Having the same problem as you, with no success to date. The only other thing I tried apart from the things you listed was disconnecting the battery. It's £2400 for a new infotainment system from VW. On ebay I have seen them offered for arround £500 but you need them reprogramed and I am told the person has to be registered with VW.
It's all an expensive paining the arse.
Good luck anyway.
Having the same problem as you unfortunately.

· Registered
2 Posts
The problem with the VW Infotainment system is in the software in the control unit/ CD reader found in the glove box of the Golf V7. I purchased a replacement unit for £500 from Ryan Gash at northeastvagadaptions.co.uk. On delivery I fitted the replacement which functioned correctly immediately. I am now in the process of dismantling the old unit to check the cause of the problem. Ryan requires detail of the car to set the software in the new unit. VW has produced proprietary software for this rip-off emulating Microsoft and other software companies.
SH

· Registered
1 Posts
Update...have been informed by the VW dealer that the control unit has failed, probably due to missing software updates. Despite the fact they should have updated the software during routine services, they have quoted me £2,200 for a new unit or for me to source a used one and they will fit for free. I'm not amused as the car is only 4 years old and has recorded less than 20,000 miles. Will be taking this further. Have any other owners experienced this? It seems vw have known about this issue since 2018 and there have been around 56,000 owners worldwide have been contacted about the Discover Media 2 Infotainment System needing to be updated as a voluntary service measure...sadly not me..:mad:
My 2021 GTI is possessed! It randomly changes the radio station, changes the console menu, starting the car activates the sunroof, warnings come on for me to take control of the steering wheel. Nav system does not work correctly. Sometimes I can't open the trunk. Dealership cannot fix and VW are non-responsive. Class action law suit I wonder.

· Registered
0 Posts
I have a VW Golf where the infotainment system failed after 3 years and 48,000 km. I have been quoted $4,500 to repair in Australian dollarsUD (about $3100 USD) . I am taking VW to court as I feel they have breached Australian Consumer Law for quality and durability. Court hearing is in 3 weeks. I have been a VW owner for 23 years.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a VW Golf where the infotainment system failed after 3 years and 48,000 km. I have been quoted $4,500 to repair in Australian dollarsUD (about $3100 USD) . I am taking VW to court as I feel they have breached Australian Consumer Law for quality and durability. Court hearing is in 3 weeks. I have been a VW owner for 23 years.
Is class action in Australia possible? I have a similar problem with VW; am not amused!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts