Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the engine light came on during my trio to work today. I was heading to villa park and decided to run it over to Larry roesch. It was nearing time for the 40k service. They did a good job on that and dropped me off at the store I was working at. This afternoon they call and tell me that the light was due to a leak in the intake manifold. So they replaced it and the service kit that was needed for the install. Everything went smoothly and the car was deliver as promised at the price quoted.

Issue is, has any one else had this issue with the 2.0t motor? I think that at 37,000 miles its way premature to have this issue. Not only that but they stock the part. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
a post from nitro that happened a few months back:

We do two manifolds a day. It's a really common problem on the tsi turbo engine. The new manifold is redesigned and comes with a new sensor too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully it doesn't end up a repeat. I have faith that they updated the part. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
it wouldn't hurt to ask the tech department if it was replaced with the updated manifold.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm going to check with them today. I'll let you guys know and also what the actual bill would have been.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. Talked to George at the service department. He acknowledged that the car did receive the updated manifold. That's a plus. According to him the cost out of pocket would be between $850-950.

Car runs beautifully now though. Hell I didn't even notice any issues. But the idle is very smooth.

Now to figure out why the clutch makes noise as it engages. Amazing the little issues but I absolutely love the car even more than when I bought it.

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
Have a manual trans? If it makes a odd whirrrrrrrooooooot noise when you start from a stop, you need a clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. The clutch springs have weakened and cause noise. Luckily it's covered under powertrain warranty like your manifold was. It's also a somewhat common issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn. What's with the clutch issue? Another design issue? I'm not going to lie and say I drive easy because I run it when I feel like it but by no means abuse it or run around burning the tires.

Is this a regular deal with all clutches on the 2.0t's?

·
Premium Member
13,748 Posts
a post from nitro that happened a few minutes back:

Have a manual trans? If it makes a odd whirrrrrrrooooooot noise when you start from a stop, you need a clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel. The clutch springs have weakened and cause noise. Luckily it's covered under powertrain warranty like your manifold was. It's also a somewhat common issue.
^^ heh heh, just kidding. seriously though, compared to the rabbits/golfs/jettas do the ccs see more clutch problems?

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
Remember that this 2.0T engine and 6spd manual trans are used in the audi a3, GTI, gli, cc, b6 passat, tiguan, early sportwagen, The Beetle. Audi uses this engine in many of their models also. There were millions made and these problems are not model specific.

Like i said, the spring on the clutch disc is either weak or broken and causing your noise.

·
Premium Member
12,610 Posts
I've only replaced one clutch set...I guess it's updated but i'm not sure. I notice the noise often, but if the customer doesn't complain i'm not going to say anything.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is only the second time I've ever noticed a driveline noise in any car. The first was when the carrier bearing in my old 968 was going out. You could hear it howling faintly below the back seat.

None of my VW's have ever had issues with clutches or noise. Lousy 2nd gear syncro Ina mk3 glx. That's it.

·
So Sofistikated
10,617 Posts
The new tsi motor uses a **** clutch imo, we cant put any power to them without failure. IIRC they went from the FSI having a more organic disk to a special poly blend or some **** like that.

Clutches in this car arent so fun.

also 2nd gear syncro are usually beat the most.

·
Premium Member
16,519 Posts
Aftermarket clutches are pretty expensive for the 6spd. I've got a clutchmasters FX400 and I like it, you probably wouldn't need anything more than a FX200.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts