Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished replacing ac condenser, was easier than I expected, abt 3 hours total.Next item, I had replaced the timing belt and tensioner the day before driving to Florida from NJ and never had the time to check the IP timing. Car runs great, but I feel like I should retime the pump. Bentley's shows .90 +or- .02 for setting and a range of .83 to .97 to be ok if checking the timing. This seems to be a fairly large range for something I would think would be more precise. Anyone had any experience with differing from factory specs to get better economy eg. .83 vs .97 rather than the .90 setting. It seems like the bolts mounting the pump will be difficult to get to, any special wrenches needed? Thanks for any advice, Bob BTW I had to replace the outboard intermediate shaft brg and was able to do it without removing the engine it is doable but not much fun. I had no other choice, no lift and no engine hoist, if you find low oil pressure at idle when hot, this brg could be the cause if you have looked at all other possibilities.

·
Super Moderator
10,304 Posts
Timing the ip on a mk1 1981 diesel I found that usually 93-94 gave better economy.
I can't say specifically what the 91 would do.

On my 81 the bolts were accessed via the holes in the IP sprocket/gear.
You will need a dial gauge tho to get the measurement.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts