Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '18 Tiguan SE and have had this problem twice, this the second winter, I have owned it. When doing an outdoor event, skiing the first time, or camping the second, and the temp is below 12F the key fob stops working. No remote buttons. I have to pop off the key covers to unlock, then do the press the fob against the column.

First check was the battery. Replaced it. Key fob still didn't work. Checked the voltage in case it is a bad battery, got 3.2v from a 3v battery. Battery type CR 2025 for anyone following along. Still no go. Let the key fob sit in the house for 48+ hours. No change.

The first time I took it to the dealer and when they looked at it, it worked first time.

The second case I was camping overnight and the temp dropped to single digits F, around 8F / -13C. The keys were in my jacket overnight and not in my sleeping bag. I put them into an inside jacket pocket for two hours as we packed up, and it still wasn't working. That was Sunday, today is Wed morning and it still is not working. Checked the battery, that was new last month (Jan), and getting 3V.

Anyone else notice the fob now working due to cold? Any solutions? I was thinking possibly moisture turned to ice and got in there.

Thanks
Jim
Colorado, USA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In another online forum it was pointed out the battery listed for the Tiguan fob is a CR 2032, not a CR2025. I used a CR 2025 as a replacement as it was in the FOB when I opened it. Maybe the dealer put in the incorrect battery?

The diameter is the same, the thickness is .7mm different with the CR2025 being thinner. I am going to put in a CR2032 and see what happens.

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In another online forum it was pointed out the battery listed for the Tiguan fob is a CR 2032, not a CR2025. I used a CR 2025 as a replacement as it was in the FOB when I opened it. Maybe the dealer put in the incorrect battery?

The diameter is the same, the thickness is .7mm different with the CR2025 being thinner. I am going to put in a CR2032 and see what happens.

Fingers crossed.
That was the issue. Fob is working again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts