Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow Rabbit owners!

I've had my Rabbit for about 4 or 5 months now and I'm absolutely in love with it. She's a 1980 burnt orange convertible. My mechanic just finished replacing a lot of her parts - suspension, clutch, shocks, etc. and also gave her some new seats and carpeting which was sweet! She's ready for the road ahead, but it's an 1800 mile trip and to be honest I don't know much about general maintenance. All I know is how to change a tire, fill her up, give her some oil, and I know I should leave her running if I'm putting water in when it overheats... that's pretty much all I got. I'm looking for some general tips and guidance for my trip. We're going the northern route through some mountainess regions. She needs to make it!

I think I can, I think I can.

Desiree

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Hey, welcome to the ROC !

I don't have any mechanical experience so can't help you there. But I'd love to see pics of your car on the trip ! Hopefully she'll make it. I would be worried about taking an older car on such a long trip, especially if you will hit snow in the mountains. I guess the only thing I might know is that the car might freeze up in really cold weather so you might have to put something else besides water in there. (don't quote me on this !!)

See, don't know much, but have a nice trip and hope she makes it through !

·
Super Moderator
10,510 Posts
Well if you flush out your radiator and cooling system and install a new t-stat.... over heating shouldn't be an issue.

I have driven my 90, 92, and 93 cabby all over hades.... 1400 miles round trips with no mechanical breakdowns. But then again I had totally gone through all the systems and replaced or repaired everything.

Just get a AAA card.... enjoy the ride... This time of year it shouldn't be too hot.

Carry an extra fuel pump relay, and a jug of h20.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If your going through inclined areas, like hills and mountains, you may want to cary an aftermarket lug wrench, hydraulic floor jack and a set of wheel chocks. the lightweight $40-50 dollar kind will be just fine.

the factory jack is fine and works well but is best on LEVEL GROUND! have a friend show you how to change a tire, and practice once yourself. use the wheel chocks to prevent rolling and remember that the emergency brake works ONLY the back brakes! an aftermarket lug wrench will give you extra leverage to break loose and re-tighten the lugs.

(Im not trying to insinuate that girls cant change a tire, but my 105lb sister just dosent have enough grunt to break a lug loose with the short lug wrenches of an import car. It makes gift shopping easy for me when she buys a new car every 5 years or so! she buys a car = new roadside tool kit from her brother!:D:)

·
Super Moderator
10,510 Posts
What you didn't teach her the kick method.....

Short wrench two kicks and the lugs are loose. But then again my girls pick up the phone and say " my tire is flat "

So dad goes to change it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for all the advice! I will definitely be bringing some H2O in case of emergency and my boyfriend has AAA so that's a definite plus! I learned how to change a tire when I was 15 so I'm good in that department as well. I trust that my girl will make it. She's been with my mechanic for the past month and he revamped many of her parts - she's nearly good as new! You guys rule! Keep it up with the tips if anyone has anything else to add!

Much gratitude,
DezzieD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hope it worked out!!

Hi there, just signed up to the forum, what a wealth of info. Hope your trip went well, I'm sure it did.

We are on the final legs of a 12'000+ road-trip in our 84 Rabbit Convertible 1.8. Started out with 76k on the clock from Chicago, went north to Canada, NewFoundland, back to Montreal and across to BC. We have now turned her East and are in WA heading towards Chicago... hopefully.

Work done & Problems encountered:
Bad Battery- replaced:
Spark Plugs, points, wires, distributor and rotor replaced:
Front axle replaced:
Front wheel bearing replaced:
Fuel Pump replaced
Air filter replaced
Wipers & wiper motor replaced
Tires replaced
Windscreen replaced
Top replaced
.... and todays problem- Transmission.....

In a place called Spokane in Wa, tyranny gave up a couple of days ago. Spent yesterday locating a transmission that should fit from a junk yard, hired a car to pick it up...... now waiting for the mechanic to fit it in and hopefully call us and let us know that the transmission is working grand!! Fingers Crossed.

The Rabbit is a great car, everywhere we have been its a talking point...EVERYONE loves the Rabbit and has a memory or something to say about them... Long may they live!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts