Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a Honda guy for a long time until a few years ago I purchased a 03 Golf for my son, we had a good time going through it, I was impressed with it and he has put a lot of trouble-free miles on it.

I am a Sales Rep driving 30K miles a year or so. I was thinking of getting a Jetta 2009-2012 or so depending on age and condition. Can you offer any advice? Things to stay away from! Should I look for manual transmission for longevity? I have been spoiled with Honda's of the past. Is it realistic to get 250-300K out of a VW?

Thanks in advance.

Best
Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been a Honda guy for a long time until a few years ago I purchased a 03 Golf for my son, we had a good time going through it, I was impressed with it and he has put a lot of trouble-free miles on it.

I am a Sales Rep driving 30K miles a year or so. I was thinking of getting a Jetta 2009-2012 or so depending on age and condition. Can you offer any advice? Things to stay away from! Should I look for manual transmission for longevity? I have been spoiled with Honda's of the past. Is it realistic to get 250-300K out of a VW?

Thanks in advance.

Best
Rick
Dude, I think you can get 250k out of a mid 2000's volk if you take care of it - meaning keeping very regular with the maintenance schedule. Why are you picking those particular years, though? I mean buy a newer one if you can... And if I was traveling I'd probably go with a 1.4 liter golf myself. Over the long haul will save you a bit more on gas, but at the cost of a little power. I always go for manual because of the feel, as for longevity of manual, depends on the year your getting. The more modern ones are to the point where its getting equal. but generally a manual will cost you less in repairs if you're facing mechanical issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Best
Rick
The MK6 with 5 cylinder auto is a good move. Have 2 of them, each over a 100,000 miles with no major problems.
Stay far away from the 4 cylinder TSI.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude, I think you can get 250k out of a mid 2000's volk if you take care of it - meaning keeping very regular with the maintenance schedule. Why are you picking those particular years, though? I mean buy a newer one if you can... And if I was traveling I'd probably go with a 1.4 liter golf myself. Over the long haul will save you a bit more on gas, but at the cost of a little power. I always go for manual because of the feel, as for longevity of manual, depends on the year your getting. The more modern ones are to the point where its getting equal. but generally a manual will cost you less in repairs if you're facing mechanical issues.
I'm looking to pay cash for the new ride so thinking on spending less than 8K, thanks for the help...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Easy look at resale value on
Vw...drops faster than most.
2 turbos 1 cam 1 dsg
Yes i use vw oil 228k miles
At what cost$$$$$
The drop in resale is nice, I cam get a 2012 or so with about 100k on it for 7-8K cannot do that with Honda.... but is it worth it???????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts