Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new here and new owner of a 1982 Rabbit. Was told I need to buy a mechanical oil pressure gauge (for testing) and would love some info on the best one to buy. I am very new to fixing cars and am eager to get this car in working condition, all help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

·
Super Moderator
10,267 Posts
HMMM didn't I just answer this in a different forum? the pics over there are really nice.

The Yellow circled item is the oil pressure sender for the console gauge.

There is a high pressure switch on your filter flange, and in either location you can get the pressure from.
You may need to take your sender out to get the proper thread, as I don't remember what it is specifically.

Most oil issues are the blinky light from hades caused by too thin an oil, and a generic or Fram filter.

I personally use 20W50 and a Wix, or Napa Gold filter.
Some other good filters that I have used that didn't have the blinky light from hades are:
Pureolator Gold.
STP
Mobil1
Mann
Mahl
Napa Gold
Wix

Bosch and Fram have a really bad negative air displacement ratio and shouldn't be used.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Briano, let let me bring you up to speed. 82 1.7 Vin a. Tested the high pressure switch (via cabby info instructions and tried a new switch with same result), changed the oil (20-50) with Napa gold filter. Wanted to verify the actual oil pressure outside of the stock console gauge. Blinking light comes on at or above 2k with the stock gauge reading 8 bar. I'm thinking it's the cluster after reading just about every thread. However I don't want to assume, as we all know what can come of that. Found a few mechanical gauges online, if someone could verify the correct thread pitch that would be awesome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts