Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2011 VW Tiguan S 2.0 4Motion
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my daughter has a 2011 Tiguan S. I'd like to install a factory MFSW for her, so she doesn't have to look up at the roof to press the Bluetooth buttons. I've seen plenty of posts online about installing the newer MFSW's but I've never seen one where the MFSW from a 2010 was installed, so my question is this: will a 2010 MFSW, the one with four individual buttons on each side, work with a 2011? I ask because our local junk yard had ONE Tiguan, a 2010 SE, and I was able to get the steering wheel and air bag, along with the circuit board for the control module that sits on the column under the steering wheel, for $49 AND it is in mint condition, neither the leather nor the buttons look very used at all.

Thanks for the reply.

Frederic

· Registered
75 Posts
The Displays in the dash may be different which means not all the functions on the wheel will work as they do on an SE (Highline), however, the media center and radio switches do work according to what I have read. There are two things you may need to do - Did you pull J527 the Steering Wheel Control Module from the SE? You will need it. Second, you may need to code the new wheel into the ECM using a tool like Ross Tech's VCDS.

Overview of pulling the SWCM J527 -

List of SWCM's from the Ross Tech site -

Golf MK6 MFSW swap how to -

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Displays in the dash may be different which means not all the functions on the wheel will work as they do on an SE (Highline), however, the media center and radio switches do work according to what I have read. There are two things you may need to do - Did you pull J527 the Steering Wheel Control Module from the SE? You will need it. Second, you may need to code the new wheel into the ECM using a tool like Ross Tech's VCDS....
Tobias,

Thank you for the reply. I did not pull the clockspring/slip ring, but I'll head over to the junkyard tomorrow and get it. I'm not concerned about the dash displays working, I just want to make sure that her phone button will work. So is there a video out there that I've missed that covers someone installing a 2010 MFSW into a 2011?

· Registered
75 Posts
Did you see this one? Euro Tiguan, but …

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you see this one? Euro Tiguan, but …
I hadn't seen that one, so thank you for that. I went to the junkyard today and pulled the clockspring/slipring, as well as the cover for the module circuit board I pulled earlier...wanted to make sure I knew what part numbers were what, so here's the list of what I have, and hopefully I can make it work:

All parts from 2010 Tiguan:

MFSW P/N: 1Q0-419-091-AG-USZ
Airbag P/N: 1K0-880-201-CB-1QB (built 02.04.2010)
Clockspring P/N: 1K0-959-653-C
Control Module P/N: 1K0-953-549-CH

In theory, all I need to do is install and code with VCDS and my kiddo will have a functional steering wheel.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I got some answers yesterday. The first is that the 2010 Tiguan MFSW will NOT work with my daughter's 2011. The 2010 control module 1K0-953-549CH is independent from the clockspring and sits under the column; the 2011 has clockspring/control module 5K0-953-569-F, which is one unit. Thankfully, while I was at the junkyard, I spotted a 2012 Jetta that had clockspring/control module 5K0-953-569-H, the Highline module that DOES support a MFSW.

The second is that I won't be able to use the 2010 steering wheel and airbag. All of the Jettas at the junkyard had a MFSW, however they only had the buttons on the left side; the right side had a blank cover where the buttons for the MFD would be. Since the 2011 doesn't have a MFD, I'm not worried about it, and neither is my daughter, so I'll be making another trip to the junkyard and grabbing a Jetta MFSW. If she ever decides to upgrade to a MFD, we'll cross that bridge then.

So, if anyone is looking for answers as to whether a 2010 Tiguan MFSW will work with a newer Tiguan, the answer is most definitely no.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts