·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early 1999 VW Golf Wolfsburg edition
Chassis No. 3VWJB1H9XM221733
Engine No. ABA596697
Mileage 43,500 (69,000 km)
I have a mysterious problem for which I would appreciate receiving your advice.
Engine starts easily, idles a bit rough at about 900 rpm, reaches and maintains normal temperature, and displays no engine warning signs.
BUT, No. 1 plug (near cam wheel) is discoloured and wet (gas, not oil) and when I remove the lead to No. 1, there is no change in the idle, which implies that No. 1 is not firing.
A few facts: No. 1 plug has fat, blue spark. No. 1 injector impedance is about 14 Ohm and voltage to injector a bit over 8 V. Compression in No. 1 and No. 4 about 120 psi. Gas mileage (hold on to your hat) is 20 L/100 km (I drive mostly in dense Manila traffic).
My attempts.
1. Installed new plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and air filter – no change.
2. Removed cylinder head – cylinders appeared normal, valves and seats were slightly pitted.
3. Lapped valves and installed new valve seals.
4. Reinstalled head according to manual (new gaskets and head bolts).
5. Engine started easily, idled a bit rough at about 900 rpm, reached and maintained normal temperature, and displayed no engine warning signs.
6. No. 1 plug (near cam wheel) is discoloured and wet (gas, not oil).
7. When I changed No. 4 plug and injector to No. 1 position, there was no change.
I’m stuck !
Will appreciate and follow up any hints.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plugs were ok. What finally fixed the problem comptely was a new set of high tension wires...I should have started with those and saved a lot of work and money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts