Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO I bought my dream yellow 2004 volkswagen beetle. Shortly after buying it through a private deal the engine light went on and the air conditioning was blowing warm. I took it to the trusted machanic in my town and ended up having to get the air conditioing fixed and a new radiator. $2500 later (the day after getting repaired) my car wont start. My husband came to jump it and it worked. So we drove to canadian tire and got a new battery in. The day after that I was leaving work again after a 6 hour shift and my battery was drained. I dont understand how it would be drained considering it was a brand new battery and no lights were on. Anyone expirienced this and have some advice? My car has 160,000kms.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was going to initially say that this sounds like a radiator fault. I'm not sure what the legal position is like in the US, but surely you have to be notified of any faults in the car before purchase? I wish I could help, but a new battery should not be being drained within a day. In fact, I don't know how any battery could just go during a day unless you left everything on!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Radiator fault won't drain the battery, the radiator takes no electricity...
The RAD fans do, but you'd hear them running with the car off.

The only way to TEST, is to hook up a volt meter, set to current. You pull the
positive terminal, put the red lead to that. Put the black lead to the positive
terminal and look at the current drain. You're then going to pull each fuse one
at a time, to see if the drain drops, and of not, put the fuse back in. There
are fuses inside the car, and in the engine compartment. Start with the ones in
the engine compartment.

Normal current draw should be no higher than 85-milliamps, 60mA being the norm.
So, when you put the tester on, and it's higher than 85mA, then you have a
problem.

Unfortunately, there is no other way to test current draw. The most common cause
is aftermarket stereos, but you didn't do that...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts