Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have had the rabbit for about three weeks and I figured it was about time I dropped the new Sirius Sportster 5 I bought for it in the dash. I absolutely did not want it stuck on my windshield as I did in my former vehicle so I decided to go for the small console pocket where the power adaptor was located.

I also did not want that black antenna protruding from my CW bunny, so inspired by Futility's post below of a navigation antenna; I decided to go for a dash location.

I was afraid of popping the vent, because I am not real sure of that stuff so I decided to route it between the dash and the glass and used a plastic ruler to push the wire all the way down so that it could not be seen from the outside and I used the small rubber wire concealer that normally hides the wire from the antenna to the inside of the car on an external installation to clean up the wire running up the dash. (Sorry for the blurry pics, there are a few of them. Bad camera)

Ran the wire down the right side of the window and concealed it along the right side of the dash by using a small screwdriver to push the wire down and out of sight, then removed a piece of trim to get the wire down the dash and back behind the glove box.

I pulled the foam concealing panel below the glove box and ran the wire back behind the floor air vents to the back of the dash console, approximated how much wire I would need to make it to the console pocket and then stashed the remaining wire behind one of the floor air vents and replaced the foam concealing panel.

I then ran the wire into the console pocket and used a small screwdriver to push the wire into the space where the dash console and floor console meet and around the back of the floor console to conceal it. I ended up with a nice concealed antenna wire.

The suction cup mount will not stay on the plastic back of that console pocket so we have to improvise. I made a template out of construction paper, then used it to cut myself a plate out of .093 Plexiglas and used some automotive Velcro to mount it the back of the console pocket.

Once that was complete, I attached the mounting base, the mounting arm (with sat. dock attached), and the AC adaptor and ran an audio cable from the dock around to my aux-in jack and concealed that wire much like the antenna wire.

And finally mount the radio on the dock and turn that baby on.

It's obviously not a perfect factory installed solution, but I think it came out pretty darn well and looks almost like that spot was made for it. Now you have to select a color theme to go along with the interior lighting.

Maybe others can take this process and refine it to make it look even better. Tell me what you think of it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
150 Posts
daddy likes, except for the wire cover on the dash. I wish my sirius reciever had blue lights.

·
Registered
312 Posts
looking nice!

Aw, shucks...you're making me blush. I don't think that anyone has accused me :blind: of anything inspirational in recent memory. Thanks dhawkins!

I think you've done a pretty tidy installation there - the only thing I'd be concerned about is potentially rubbing through the antenna's insulation over time at a few of the "pressure points" in your route... but that may never manifest itself as an issue. I trust you've found your reception satisfactory - I have had great fortune with that location for the navigation antenna.

Keep up the good work, and happy listening!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
daddy likes, except for the wire cover on the dash. I wish my sirius reciever had blue lights.
Yeah, I'm not 100% sold on the wire cover either and it may come off eventually, I just didn't care for the wire just "haning out there" either. Who knows.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts