Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am in need of some advice. I drive a VW passat b7 tdi 2013 1.6L, it has xenon led headlights. At the moment I believe they have water inside as the inside of the headlight fogs up, and I use a hair dryer currently to get rid of the steam inside. I went to a garage and they told me to change the headlight. The main dealer sells the headlight for £750 for one! I cannot pay that much for one headlight during this time. I wanted to ask if I can downgrade to the normal halogen headlights from xenon and if it is possible with my car? They are much cheaper and only £300 for a set.
Any advice is helpful! I have attached an image of my headlight too.
IMG_2078.jpg

·
Registered
1967 Beetle Cabriolet
4 Posts
This kind of thing happens when the seals on the headlights fail. Headlights are manufactured with vents to allow for pressure and moisture to escape which prevents this problem as long as the other seals are intact. Remove the headlight and see if the vent is clogged and inspect where the lens mates to the housing to see if there is any separation. If there are any places where that seems to be happening, seal them with silicone or even just cover them with a bit of tape. Clean out the vents if they are blocked up. You could also try drilling small holes at the top and bottom of the housing to allow the moisture to escape, but I wouldn't recommend it for long term use. Ultimately, a new headlight assembly is in order, look on Rockauto.com or Carparts.com for a cheaper replacement. You can use regular incandescent bulbs just fine. For now, I wouldn't worry about it unless it hurts your visibility. Just leave it be and the moisture will go away when the sun heats up the headlight assembly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts