Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a new 2017 R-line this past weekend. after spending hours and hours playing with everything and pouring over the manual i have some questions i am hoping someone can help me with

1. no under hood heat shield/insulation. i've never had a car without one. is this missing or just the way it is?

2. DRLs are just the yellow parking lights? i thought they would be white. manual also says DRL would appear in instrument panel. I don't see that.

3. This one is bothering me. backlights on panel buttons and instrument panel do not illuminate if car is running and in park with just the parking lights on. the panel lights do come on if the ignition is the on position without engine running.

i cant also get used to not having a dedicated parking light setting. all cars i ever had had 3 positions: off, parking lights, low beam.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Ask the people you bought it from...

DLRs:

The white lights that are on, are the DRLs. If you have the ER brake on, they turn off.
Don't know what your headlamps look like, NO pictures. None of the underside of the hood
either.

Lots of VWs do not have the separate parking light function. You can add it later
with a Euro switch and VCDS coding. Can get one with AUTO as well.. You have
Off/On and on with a pull up for FOGs if you have those.

So, then how are you having JUST the parking lights on, while the motor is running,
and in park, if it does not have the separate parking light switch position? IF the
car is OFF, and you turn on the headlights, just the parking lights come on. Most
VWs, as soon as you start it up, and switch the headlights on, they all come on.
My guess is the ER brake is on here too.

AS far as the insulation for the hood, well, maybe they're confident the heat won't
mess up the paint. You can buy one, if the holes are there for the clips. I think the
V6s have it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply.

about the parking lights, that's what i want, just the parking lights with the car running. right now that doesn't happen. i guess as you said i need a euro switch. i will have to look into that.

so right now i can't sit in the car at night, car running, low beams off, with the radio on, and see any of the internal knobs, dials and buttons because no backlight. they come on if i put the low beams on, but i dont want to have to do that.

maybe there is another way to turn those backights on??

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Mine come on without the headlights being on, all my back-lighting, except the RPM and MPH back
lights, but the needles are lit. My HVAC, radio, and window buttons are all lit with the car on,
motor off, or motor on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine come on without the headlights being on, all my back-lighting, except the RPM and MPH back
lights, but the needles are lit. My HVAC, radio, and window buttons are all lit with the car on,
motor off, or motor on.
hmm. maybe i should ask dealer what's up

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Okay, sorry, I checked mine...

Car On, Engine Running, lights off; only the cluster is lowly illuminated, DLRs on, City lights on.
Car On, Engine Not Running, lights off; only the cluster is lowly illuminated.
Car On, Engine Running, Lights On: Low beams on, all back lighting on, DLRs off, City lights on.

Car Off; lights on; parking lights on, radio, HVAC, dash, and window buttons all illuminated, Lo-Beams off, DLRs off, City lights on.

City lights on the MK6 Jetta are 194 bulbs in the hi-beam reflector, though I have bright LEDs in them.

SO, yeah, same here...

I am getting one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-OE-Auto-Headlight-Head-Light-Sensor-Switch-For-VW-Tiguan-Passat-B6-Golf-MK6-/112242124816
Will take a while to get here, but no hurry....

I do plan on getting a Euro switch too, so I can have separate parking light feature.
You also need VCDS to code that.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
so i can get one of those switches on ebay, swap it out with the original and instant parking lights?
As far as SWAP, yes, but you need VCDS to program the car for separate position
for parking lights. That switch also has a position for rear fog lights, but American
cars don't have them, but you can manually wire something for that function. Not
sure how the AUTO function works with the sensor, but I guess I will find out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so where can i go to have someone re-program the new new light switch. Dealer service? or will some local repair shops have this ability?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Dealer probably won't do it for warranty concerns. You need to find someone
locally with VCDS, or buy it... The switch is not being programmed, the car CECM
is to recognize the change it sees. If you put it in without choosing separate parking
lamp position, putting the parking lamps on will probably turn all the lights on as it
is programmed to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts