Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all! I am beginning my “restoration” of a 71’ super beetle. Most of the work is done and most expensive parts including new interior were included in its $2600 sale price. I am currently working on getting it to start. The owner reported that it was running, though it stumbled on acceleration. I got it after sitting (in a garage on jackstands) for a year, the fuel was drained as well. The wiring is a mess I’m gonna have to sort later but for the time being I hot wired the starter solenoid. It cranks beautifully but even with starting fluid sprayed into the carb it will only sputter for a split second. Than continue to crank. I noticed the coil and ignition condenser were very hot due to what seemed like the condenser wire grounding on the distributor bottom. I replaced both parts tho I replaced the condenser with one that appears to be VERY similar. I have an identical Bosch one on order. So it seems like my issue here is spark as I have air and fuel. I tested the connection with a spark detector from the coil to the distributor and it worked. I’m kinda at a loss. What are y’all’s suggestions? Or considering my lack of knowledge should I get a little help from a shop?

i am excited to be part of this new community and can’t wait for the day I get to drive my Beetle.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hold a spark plug wire near any grounded part of engine as you crank engine. You should see a good blue spark. You said fuel was drained. Before or after storage? If after you likely need to clean carburetor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hold a spark plug wire near any grounded part of engine as you crank engine. You should see a good blue spark. You said fuel was drained. Before or after storage? If after you likely need to clean carburetor.
I tested it and all good… it was drained beforehand and the carb is in good shape, almost brand new I believe. Now I’ve gotten it to start when I hold the gas down at least half way… when I let go it will sputter to a stop, even if I push the gas down afterwards. We are perfecting the timing but currently it’s not too bad. There is an uncapped vacuum port at the front of the carb that is pulling. Though even when we covered it with our finger it didn’t change a thing. What does this sound like to y’all that it dies out at idle or anything close to it? Any suggestions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts