Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

On paper, I bought a 1964 beetle. In the flesh, he has a 1970 (i think) 1600cc motor. The inside was basically stripped, with 1999 beetle seats, being just about the only thing in there other than the original steering wheel. No radio. No carpets. No back seat. No headliner. No mirrors. The fenders are baja style fiberglass. The front hood is too, and opens forward.

Now, I'll be honest. I love the look. The rear tires are comically big. The front ones aren't. It looks really straight. The paint is fairly good too.

The main problem is the brakes. They are dangerous, and I won't drive it until I get them fixed. Thing is, while I'm pretty sure the front drums are stock, I have no idea how to id the rear. I'm not even sure how to figure out what engine I have.

I guess I'm here because I'm a little lost. How do I find out what I have? I have some books on the way, like the how to keep your bug alive one, and another I can't remember.

Where do I start?

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you have manuals on the way wait for them and then try doing a standard bleeding of the brakes. It should at least get the air out of the lines and you can figure out if the mechanisms are frozen up or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi!

On paper, I bought a 1964 beetle. In the flesh, he has a 1970 (i think) 1600cc motor. The inside was basically stripped, with 1999 beetle seats, being just about the only thing in there other than the original steering wheel. No radio. No carpets. No back seat. No headliner. No mirrors. The fenders are baja style fiberglass. The front hood is too, and opens forward.

Now, I'll be honest. I love the look. The rear tires are comically big. The front ones aren't. It looks really straight. The paint is fairly good too.

The main problem is the brakes. They are dangerous, and I won't drive it until I get them fixed. Thing is, while I'm pretty sure the front drums are stock, I have no idea how to id the rear. I'm not even sure how to figure out what engine I have.

I guess I'm here because I'm a little lost. How do I find out what I have? I have some books on the way, like the how to keep your bug alive one, and another I can't remember.

Where do I start?
[/QUOTE
Hi!

Where do I start?
If it is a 64 the drums will be a wide 5 bolt pattern also it will have a swing axle transmission. If you have the smaller 4bolt drums it might have a later pan and the 64 body. As far as the engine if it is a 1600 it will have duel port heads. As in if you look at the runners they are split where they go into the head also the engine ID is usually stamped just under the generator post on the block if it starts with an AE it is a good chance it is a 1600 .
Have Fun they are easy to work on and parts are plentiful

1 - 3 of 3 Posts