Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just read through my 216 page user guide trying to find something about exposure bracketing so I can start taking some HDR pictures and didn't see anything. I know Canon cameras have this option and can take up to 3 pictures but I heard Nikon's can take more than 3 in their bracketing mode... My only problem is I can't figure out how the hell to get there and it would be nice if I didn't have to manually adjust for each picture. So can someone kindly explain to me what is is called for a Nikon or atleast point me in the right direction? It would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :confused:

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
taken from another site and an apparent troll -- however the point shouldn't be ignored. I don't think Nikon really has a ploy to deceive customers...but it makes for an interesting theory. The D3000 is nikon's newest entry level dSLR (I believe) and some features are subracted from the "more advanced" models. I've had luck with a tripod and a decently negative exposure compensation on my d40 -- then dumping into photoshop and boosting colors. I suppose it isn't true HDR, but looks pretty close.

"Why Nikon leaves it off the D3000 is for marketing. It is a firmware feature, it wouldn't cost them any more to include it on the camera.

They leave it off because a new SLR user won't be looking in spec sheets for features like AEB when they buy the D3000. After 6 months or a year of using the camera they might think, I would like to do some of those HDR shots. But wait, I need a feature called Auto Exposure Bracketing. My camera doesn't have that! I better go buy a D5000.

Nikon has been good about trickling advanced features down from their higher end models, but they still need to leave separation between models so you have to buy the more expensive one (Like d300s has mic in for video but cheaper models do not, knowing the internal mic is useless for quality sound from an SLR, but acceptable for candid videos).

I have no problem with this, every manufacturer does something similar, and this has an easy work around (manually exposure bracket). "

Also -- feel free to post this stuff in the photography thread. We'll be happy to help!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that's poopy. Oh well I'll just have to do it manually I guess.

Yeah I was gonna post it there but figured I was n00bing it up in there enough as it was and didn't want to ruin the pages of sweet pics with stupid questions haha.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've always manually adjusted shutter speed for HDR ranging from 4 seconds to 1/1000 depending on the situation and lighting. The most I have done in Photomatix has been 12 different exposures. I only use bracketing when I shoot lightning so I can get different colors. If you had gotten a new Sony It has an auto HDR feature built in. Sorry I cant help you with your question on this, but if you need HDR help don't be afraid to ask.

·
Super Moderator
13,746 Posts
edit: crap i posted this in the wrong thread.

my bad, i moved it to the photography thread...

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
The first things I'd recommend you get are a tripod and a remote shutter release. You can get a tripod for (very!) cheap at Walmart, I use mine like crazy. Use the self timer for taking the shots too - this will reduce the camera shake when you push the button to take the picture. As long as they're not crazy off of each other, Photomatix should be able to put them together well enough.

You can also load a single .RAW picture into Photomatix and make a psuedo-HDR. It'll load it 3 times with different exposure values. The key to making a good looking HDR is to make it not look HDR. I mostly use it to bring out textures. You've gotta just play play play play. Your first few you'll be like "OMGZ this is SO AWESOME they look so good!" and then a month later you'll look back like "wtf was I doing". Try to avoid any unnatural looking things in the picture, especially white halos.

I'm here to answer any questions you might have - I love me some HDR :D

Here are a few recent HDRs that I've done:

Reactions: Vixen

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips. Plan on picking up a tripod tonight or tomorrow, didn't think about a remote shutter release either but it makes sense, I'll be looking for one of those aswell.

Very nice pics, the last one is my favorite.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts