Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the original owner of a 1986 Golf Diesel and it is my daily driver. The key to my ignition became difficult to start the engine. I had to bear down hard on the key to start the starter. Battery went dead so I replaced it and jumped the starter wires and the starter turned freely. Small black wire from starter to ignition has no power, any suggestions would be appreciated. New to the forum, use to be faithful to the VW Diesel Forum but it has dissolved for no known reason. I was thinking about replacing the ignition but it looks to be quite involved and I hate to bark up the wrong tree.

·
Registered
302 Posts
It is a bit of work to get the switch out of the steering column but I did it in my Rabbit about 6 months ago. Bought a replacement switch but it was so cheap the contacts burned across the starter one in very short order. I replaced the function of the starter part of the switch with a separate fused relay that was controlled by the ignition switch.

You might try to see if there is a wire loose under the steering column before you go trying to replace the switch. I had several times where the wire just vibrated off the contact and was iffy because of that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Attempted to replace the ignition switch, pulled off the steering wheel, blinkers and wiper arm. Disconnected all wire harnesses but stopped at pulling off the pressed on sleeve. Watched a youtube were the guy bent the hub and ended up hack sawing it off. Put everything back together jumped started the starter and drove to my mechanic. One week later he replace the plastic contact switch behind the ignition for $135 plus $45 for the switch with additional supplies,taxes totaling $190. I wish I would have attempted it myself, I was so close but chickened out. Anyway it is good to be driving my Golf again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts