Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FIIIIRSSTTTTTT!!!!!! and yes I own one..

·
Registered
179 Posts

Real Thread....engage...
i gotta say, my friend owns one and it is already chipped and catback exhaust, and i think im in love. i had smile that went from one year to another. then he broke my heart when i asked if i could take it home and he said no. :p

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice pick up man!!! Maybe I will see you driving around in Dover I go to school down there.

Shawn
no you will prolly see my wife driving it...im texas for training until like april...i got the GTI here with me...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
79 Posts
It's a good thing that VW doesn't make these any more! *sarcasm* I didn't even realize it was discontinued. I was seriously considering trading in my 08 Rabbit for an R-32. Then in surfing VW's site I saw nothing but the Golf and GTI.

So VW doesn't really sell anything thats AWD performance? -The GTI is ok, but a lot slower, less HP(only 30 more than a base Rabbit), doesn't have the same handling and brakes, it's a lot more vanilla, and greatly limited in the real world (with weather and all) by being only 2wd.

Why did VW abandon the AWD performance market? And is anything on the horizon from VW that's superior to the GTI? Not that I hate the GTI but it's pretty dime a dozen compared to something like an R-32.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
It's a good thing that VW doesn't make these any more! *sarcasm* I didn't even realize it was discontinued. I was seriously considering trading in my 08 Rabbit for an R-32. Then in surfing VW's site I saw nothing but the Golf and GTI.

So VW doesn't really sell anything thats AWD performance? -The GTI is ok, but a lot slower, less HP(only 30 more than a base Rabbit), doesn't have the same handling and brakes, it's a lot more vanilla, and greatly limited in the real world (with weather and all) by being only 2wd.

Why did VW abandon the AWD performance market? And is anything on the horizon from VW that's superior to the GTI? Not that I hate the GTI but it's pretty dime a dozen compared to something like an R-32.
Well, there is the Golf R ( http://www.caranddriver.com/news/ca...olf_r_series_turbo_coming_to_america-car_news ). I'm pretty sure it's available in Europe already and will be coming to North America shortly.

There is also rumors of a Jetta R on the way as well. I don't think there's anything official about that yet though.

Oh, and to the OP ... beautiful .:R, by the way!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, there is the Golf R ( http://www.caranddriver.com/news/ca...olf_r_series_turbo_coming_to_america-car_news ). I'm pretty sure it's available in Europe already and will be coming to North America shortly.

There is also rumors of a Jetta R on the way as well. I don't think there's anything official about that yet though.

Oh, and to the OP ... beautiful .:R, by the way!

Thanks - I guess it's some hope, but that article is a year old. VW needs to get that car in America - the specs look awesome.

·
Registered
23,364 Posts
The .:R isn't abandoned, just rare. They only sell it in the US once every 4 years, in a 5000 car run. That's all you can buy, and only on years when we elect a president. Don't worry, we'll see the R20. As far as speed goes... my GTI is significantly quicker than an R :p

Wouldn't hold your breath on the Jetta R lol.

·
Registered
24 Posts

In a straight line a GTI is slower than an .:R stock to stock; but you can tune a GTI to stage 1 for about $600... Then it's faster than an .:R is. Even stock the difference is very little. In the twisties it is a bigger difference of course, the AWD gives the .:R a distinct advantage then. Gotta remember, though, that AWD steals more HP from getting to the wheels than FWD does so the .:R actually only puts about 200HP to the wheels while the GTI puts about 175 to 180HP to its wheels and weighs close to 300 Lbs less.

Not to mention the only difference between an .:R interior and a GTI interior (with leather option) is the .:R spun aluminum trim.

I love my .:R and would not take a GTI over it no matter how tuned it was; but you gotta remember that there is a reason the GTI is number 2 on Top Gear's greatest cars of the last 20 years... ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
MYR32.jpg
This is my .:R before I picked it up back around August of last year. This sections seems kinda dead, but I figured this is the specified place so...

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
I feel like...I want to reach through the computer and cut you. Ever so slightly...in the neck...

lol..Congrats. I'm super jealous.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts